Chapter 7

The door to apartment number six swung open after it was knocked on. Shadow blocked the way, his eyes narrowed at the teenagers who stood outside. They were on edge, and he could see that. The black hedgehog kept his gaze on the shamefaced girl and frowned deeply. He believed she had done something wrong. "Well, what is it?" he said to Sonic, still glaring at the girl.

        Sonic gave the older anthro an unsteady smile and rubbed the back of his neck by nervous habit. "Okay, uh...Shadow, don't be too freaked out—because I know how you can get sometimes—but we had a little trouble in town with a guy who was trying to shoot (Name). No one was hurt! However, the guy ran off when police started showing up. I'm not sure if they got him or not." He leaned away after the explanation, expecting a furious backlash.

        But Shadow didn't respond that drastically. In fact, he barely seemed to respond at all; only slight surprise registered in his red eyes before dimming to their typical, stony manner. "Thank you for telling me, Sonic," nodded Shadow. "I'll send out a G.U.N. patrol to the area of the incident, and then I will find a way to deal with the girl's safety." He stepped to the side of the doorway and looked at (Name), indicating for her to enter. She did so quietly, barely having time to wave goodbye to her new friend before he was shut out.

        Right away Shadow pulled a cellphone from his quills and began dialing the number of the Commander. A musical tone played. As he was waiting from being put on hold, he told (Name) to pack her clothes and toothbrush. "You're going to be staying in an underground bunker until those connected to the case are caught. You will be off the grid, in a highly protected G.U.N. base with the most advanced weaponry. I doubt any criminal would be able to step foot onto those grounds."

        If it was anyone else in this situation, the prospect of resolute protection would be greatly welcomed. The base would provide an unbreakable defense against anyone wishing harm on those inside, never mind the petty lawbreakers. Soldiers and agents would be on the constant lookout with several weapons on their person, trained to act quickly and efficiently. It seemed the perfect idea.

        (Name) thought otherwise.

        "No," she said to Shadow. The hedgehog looked at her with a snarl forming on his lip, about to berate the girl for her defiance. Before he could, (Name) spoke in an agitated, rushed voice: "There's no way I'm going to be stuck in a bunker. It might be safe and all, but I know I'll be left behind and forgotten. I won't know anybody there. No one will want anything to do with me because I'm just a kid. At least out here I know somebody really cares, even if it's not you."

        A silence fell between them. Both wanted to speak, to add to the already tense conversation, but their internal emotions were conflicting with each other. (Name) had more to say to her alleged guardian, yet felt as if she had already taken it too far. She didn't want to be on the receiving end of his fury; even if she believed what she had said was justified. Shadow, on the other hand, couldn't decide whether he should spank some sense into the insolent child or consider her opinion as that of someone who matters.

         "Agent Shadow?" a stern voice came through Shadow's cellphone, interrupting the hedgehog from making a decision.

        "You've finally picked up, Commander." He wandered into the small living room and ignored the peeved stare (Name) was giving him. She could wait.

        "I was in a meeting. It's getting late now, and I'd rather be on my way home than having another extensive chat over the phone, so make it quick."

        Shadow explained the situation to the Commander, saying the apartment was too close to the criminals for (Name) to stay at and that she would be moved to the off-grid G.U.N. base. He, along with Rouge, Sonic, and the Chaotix, would then initiate a thorough search of the city's inhabitants to locate anyone affiliated with the crime.