A Simple Hi Can Be Life Changing

Trigger warning: Bullying.

Back to the street where we began, feeling as good as lovers can... Panic! At The Disco blares from my phone, dragging me away from my dreams of great euphoria. Unfortunately, as depressing as it may sound, I must wake up to attend school -  also known at time to remind Vera that she's not an ordinary human being.

On a note of me not being a normal individual, I must confess a minor (major) detail: I am unnaturally beautiful.Oh, Vera, aren't you a lucky lady? No, I am very unfortunate. I can't go out in public without covering my face. I can't go in public without keeping my head down, glaring at ground as if to accuse it for my faults. I can't go in public without my hood up, looking unwelcoming and threatening to strangers whilst mentally screaming please talk to me, please address my presence, please be my friend.

Knowing that it will simply emphasize my abnormality, I stare at the mirror. Pondering of something great, I shower and then proceed to put my day-to-day outfit on: a t-shirt, some odd socks, jeans and, most importantly, a black hoodie . I groan knowing that today will be just like any other day ; I certainly was not looking forward to it.

Even though I don't necessarily have to, I comb my hair like any other person. Brushing my teeth, I put Welcome To The Black Parade on. Another fact about myself is that I get bullied for being 'emo'. Little do they know, I do not live upon stereotypes. No, I don't get bullied physically - I get bullied verbally. In all honesty, I would rather be bullied physically since it would be less damaging than constantly being reminded of how different I am.

Dashing downstairs to have food, I greet my parents. My family are the only people who are there for me - the only people who are there to anchor me to the world. Without them, I doubt there would be any purpose to live. I sit down at the table and pour some cereal into a bowl whilst my parents ask me about how school is going. 

"It's the same as always." I reply, putting the dishes I have eaten out into the sink. 

Truth be told, I am quite an intelligent person. However, no one except the teachers and my family know since I refuse to answer any question teachers ask the class. Moreover, no one in public really bothers to start a conversation with me so there is no possible way for them to know unless they have a superpower such as mind-reading abilities.  

"Bye mum, bye dad," I call to them as they leave the house to get to work, "I hope you both have a great day at work!"

I hear the door slam behind them.  After collecting my bag and placing all my necessary supplies inside of it, I finish reading the book we were assigned in class. In the end, my favourite character dies. Internally, I scream and shout whilst on the outside I have a poker face. Emotionally, I had a strong bond with the character and now they're gone. Even fictional characters leave in the end. Oh why must authors be so cruel?

Above me, the sky swirled with many shades of grey and silver clouds. To most people, they would probably be complaining about the deprivation of sunlight but to me the sky adorned with grey and silver is my aesthetic. All around the ground beneath me, flowers bloomed with vibrant colours and cherry blossom trees swayed to the gentle hum of the wind. One good thing about going to school and coming back is that the shortest route is the most pleasing to the eye.

Once I arrive in front of my school gates, I inhale and exhale then proceed to walk in. Disappointed when a banner inscribed with WELCOME TO TARTARUS didn't pop up, I trudged through the hall avoiding the swarms of teenage girls gossiping ("OMG like Jenny totally dumped Ben and then went out with Ben's best friend Mark!" and teenage boys talking about football and wolf-whistling whenever an endearing girl walks by. Near the end of the hall, I see the only group who aren't doing any of those things - they're talking about new book releases, video games and fangirling/fanboying about characters. Instead of wearing a truck load of make-up, dressing like it's their wedding day and reeking  of cologne, they're just wearing trainers, jeans and hoodies with their interests such as band names, fandoms and video games. If not for my unfortunate attractiveness, this was the clique I would be hanging out with.

Pried from my fantasies of joining the closely knitted group, I carry on toward the library whilst people torment me with words from the left and right as usual. Due to my habit of over analyzing everything, some of the insults dig into my skin. However, one word almost makes me snap: freak. All throughout my youth, I've been known as freak. Never have I ever heard my real name being vocalized apart from none other than my relatives.

Realising that I've passed the school library, I retrace my steps and head in. As usual, no other human being is to be seen inside the library. In my outlook, the only safe place I can go to outside of my house and take my hood down is the library since there are no windows. Just as I'm taking my hood off, I hear the door knob being turned. With my moment of pure panic, I am sure they've seen my face. Nonetheless, I still put my hood on.

"Hi." They say, greeting me with an expression of pure curiosity.

" They say, greeting me with an expression of pure curiosity

I hope you all enjoyed my first chapter. Also, if any of you noticed the subtle references, you're AWESOME! Even if you didn't, you're still amazing. 

QOTD: How are you all doing?

Anyway, please enjoy your day and if you're sad please remember you can talk to me :)

-TheLittleFreak