Glossary

For those curious about the setting of the story and the lore behind its characters. ☺

Words in Japanese

Shoji (障子): Paper screens, traditionally made from wood and washi (Japanese style paper). The paper is translucent, allowing light to filter in. Shoji are used as doors, windows, and general space dividers.

Onmyōdō (陰陽道; "the way of Yin-Yang") was a science in Heian period Japan.

Onmyōji (陰陽師) - the men who practiced Onmyōdō - were initially astronomers. They read the stars and predicted the future. Eventually, their work spread to predicting auspicious days and directions, as well as combating evil spirits and alleviating misfortune. Onmyōji were thought to possess the ability to see otherworldly beings. Since Heian Japan believed in the existence of monsters of all kinds, Onmyōji were very much in demand, especially in the Heian Court.

Biwa (琵琶): a short-necked lute

Shamisen (三味線): traditional three-stringed instrument

Seiza (正座): a traditional form of sitting, generally with one's legs folded beneath one's body.

Hanami (花見): literally, "flower-see." Refers to flower viewing gatherings held during the cherry blossom season.

-san (~さん): Equivalent to Ms./Mr.

-sama (~様): Equivalent to Master

Historical Figures

Abe no Seimei (921-1005):

Abe no Seimei is a real-life Onmyōji, and the best known practitioner of Onmyōdō in Japanese history. Seimei's life has been well-recorded. Despite this, a number of rumors regarding his extraordinary abilities and uncanny powers persist to this day. Among them is the belief that Seimei's mother, Kuzunoha, had actually been a fox spirit in a woman's guise.

A shrine dedicated to Abe no Seimei exists in Kyoto, erected in memory of the Onmyōji by order of Emperor Ichijō upon Seimei's death in 1005. His rich legacy has been augmented by a recent resurgence of interest in Onmyōdō. Abe no Seimei appears as a character in a number of contemporary works of Japanese pop-culture, including movies and novels.

Takako Fujiwara (11th century):

The Fujiwara clan was a great political force during its heyday, largely due to the clan's ability to marry daughters into the imperial line. Takako Fujiwara is believed to be the woman who wrote the world's first novel, The Tale of Genji, under the pen name "Murasaki Shikibu."