Chapter 14

“Yah!”                   

“Good try, my friend.”

Swoosh!

“You’ll have to be faster than that to catch me!”

Robin handspring-ed backwards, landing in a crouch, hands raised, only to somersault to the left as Kaldur’s fist came hurtling towards his head. The acrobat rolled to his feet, charging the Atlantean. He spun around, arm outstretched, headed for the broad chest before his fist was caught and his body was shoved backwards. He stumbled, quickly rolling out of the way before the older teen could land a hit while he was off balance.

“Your moves are impressive.” Kaldur commented, changing the direction of his attack as the younger boy rolled away.

“Right back at ya!” Robin smirked, getting to his feet and exchanging a few blows with the older boy until he managed to send Kaldur flipping backwards.

“One would not expect such force from someone so young.” The Atlantean continued, rushing forward and landing a light blow to Robin’s shoulder, only to have his hand kicked aside and his balance nearly lost.

“Yeah, well,” Robin panted slightly, still smiling. “I wouldn’t have pegged you as the acrobatic type either.”

“My king,” The older boy turned just in time to block a fist to the head. “-Insisted I learn multiple types of hand-to-hand combat, as the surface world seems proficient in many.”

Robin jumped around Kaldur, dodging hits and kicks as he watched for an opening.

“Some people are.” The acrobat agreed. “But most just go for the good old boxing technique. You know, just keep punching until one of you is knocked out.”

Robin rushed forward, spinning around and kicking, his leg heading for Kaldur’s chest. The older boy dodged, but Robin followed through with a left hook that nearly nailed the Atlantean in the chin.

“Boxing?” Kaldur asked, spinning out of the way of Robin’s fist, retaliating with a punch of his own.

“Yeah, you never heard of boxing?” Robin dodged the punch, ducking under it and sending his fist up at Kaldur’s face.

“I am afraid I have not.” The older boy admitted, leaning backwards to avoid the attack and then coming forward again with an elbow aimed for Robin’s head.

Robin ducked and somersaulted through Kaldur’s legs. Rising to his feet, he handspring-ed away, coming up a few feet from the Atlantean.

“You’re not missing much.” Robin assured the older boy before rushing forward and executing a roundhouse kick. “It’s just basically a bunch of huge guys pummeling each other with giant red gloves.”

“I see.” Kaldur frowned, catching Robin’s ankle and kicking him backwards.

Robin growled to himself, twisting in midair and landing in a crouch a good distance away. Why could everyone block his kicks so easily? Well, not everyone, but anyone with super strength.

“Ask Wally about it.” Robin readied himself as Kaldur rushed him. “I think he’s pretty into it.”

“From your description,” Kaldur entered into a series of complex attacks. “I do not find myself particularly intrigued.”

“Yah,” Robin struggled to block and dodge the barrage of fists flying at him. Seeing an opening, the acrobat leaped forward, planting his hands on the older boy’s shoulders and kicking himself up and over his larger opponent. He landed stealthily and wasted no time in reengaging Kaldur, this time on his own terms.