A Setback (part 2)

Toriel opened her door, allowing herself time to pass through it with Sans in her arms, before closing it behind her.  She made her way over to her bed so she could sit on it, and while she walked she could feel Sans shaking slightly.  It was extremely concerning to her, all of it, to say the least.  She gently sat down, shifting the small skeleton in her arms to make it a little more comfortable for him.  She wrapped him in an embrace, and quietly said to him, "it's alright Sans, it's alright." 

Sans looked up at her for a moment before melting in her arms.  His hand gripped her dress and he buried his skull in her shoulder as he started to sob.  It was heartbreaking, knowing she couldn't do anything more than she was, only being able to listen to her best friend crying in her arms.  Toriel could only hold her friend tighter and wait it out. 

It had been a few minutes until Sans finally calmed down, tears slowing to a crawl.  He lifted his head off of her shoulder and rubbed his eye sockets, wiping the remaining tears away.  "Are you alright now?" Toriel asked, voice full of care and concern.  Sans nodded, "y-yeah."  He spoke quietly, probably drained emotionally.  "S-sorry about that Tori, i-it j-just all c-came back to me..."  Toriel hugged him again. 

When she let go, she used one of her paws to turn Sans' skull towards her.  There was a single tear left, trailing next to the small crack in his cheek bone.  She put her paw on the side of his face and wiped it away.  Toriel then released her healing magic, quickly fixing up the crack and helping to calm the small skeleton.  There was nothing more than a faint mark left and it would heal if properly taken care of. 

Sans looked up at her again.  "Sans," Toriel spoke softly, "would you mind telling me  what happened?"  Sans froze for a moment, then nodded.  This was Toriel, he could trust her with everything.  "W-we were gonna decide o-on what to do w-with t-the extra room, a-and at f-first I thought I was going to take it," Sans began to explain, trying to not be too detailed.

"W-when I offered t-to move my bed in there, t-the makeshift one, B-boss told me t-that he didn't want me to g-go...  I-I thought w-we were staying where we w-were then, b-but instead he told me that h-he wanted me to have the mattress..."  Sans dropped his eye lights to the ground, some sadness creeping in them.  "T-then we got into an argument, a-about who should have it... I w-wanted him to k-keep it, a-and I guess he got m-mad..."  Sans trailed off, eyelights dimming. 

Toriel pulled him into another hug.  "If you would like, I could go and talk to your brother," she suggested.  Sans nodded, he figured that she could talk to him and help to sort out the whole thing.  "I will stay here for now. I want to make sure that you are okay first."  Sans looked at Toriel, a little confused and slightly flustered, "w-what? Y-you don't h-have to..."  Toriel smiled, " I may not have to, but I will." 

...

Toriel waited until Sans has fallen asleep to go and talk with his brother.  She gently laid his skull down on the bed and crept out of the room, not wanting to wake him.  She made sure to close the door behind her just in case she and Papyrus started to yell at each other, which she realized was a distinct possibility.  Toriel sucked in a deep breath, regained her composure, and walked over to the skeleton brother's room. 

She was slightly surprised to see Papyrus still in there.  Part of her heaps expected him to stay but the other had expected him to go and take a walk or maybe even flee to the rest of the Ruins for a while.  He could have just gone into the living room instead of staying where he did, but there he was.  The tall skeleton was on the floor with his back against the bed, reading what looked like an old book he had brought from home. 

"Papyrus..." Toriel said sternly.  His skull shot up to look at her and he slammed the book closed.  He looked slightly alarmed, partially since he hadn't know she was there.  She stared him down for a moment, wanting to let him know that she was in charge here.  When she had dealt with him in the past this may have been a key factor that she didn't know to use to her advantage at the time, but now she wanted to have all her fire power at the ready just in case.  Toriel hoped and thought she wouldn't need it, but was always good to be prepared.