Chapter 1: Storage Room

Riley's POV
"Ms. Hart and Ms. Mathews, since you've both finished your test can you go to the storage room and grab a couple extra microscopes?", My science teacher said as I turned in my test. With Maya? Hell no.

"Uh, I'm fine Ms. Brooke, I'm gonna stay here. I'm sure Maya can do it herself.", I said as I sat back down, finding any excuse not to go with Maya. She gave me a death glare, I knew it would make this whole situation even worse if I argued so I give in.

"Okay, fine.", I groan as I got up, following Maya. I walked by her side as I heard her snicker.

"What?", I asked, annoyed. "She gave you the look.", she said, still chuckling.

"Shut up. This is exactly why I didn't want to go with you.", I sighed. Maya always manages to find a way to piss me off.

"You act as if I want to go with you.", she rolls her eyes.

"Well you don't look like your complaining.", I mumble.

"Cause I'm not a whiny bitch.", she says back.

I rolled my eyes,"Whatever you say." She just looked at me with an annoyed look on her face.

We walked into the storage room and grabbed a couple microscopes. "Okay and think that's it, let's go.", I say as I backed up into a cabinet.

"RILEY WATCH OUT", Maya yelled as she yanked me to the side as the cabinet came crashing down beside me.

I stood in shock. Did Maya just... save me? "Let's go before we get in trouble.", she said.

But it was too late, the janitor opened the door,"What happened?!", he yelled.

"Uh we uh came here for microscopes and then cabinet I uh then blah! Ka-blam! WaPOOSH. Now we're here.", I explained, half joking. I heard Maya chuckling from the back at the way I explained it.

"Principles office, now.", he told us to walk over there and that the principal knew we were on our way. We began to walk, no one talked. "Thanks, for uh- saving me back there.", I said, breaking the awkward silence. "Yeah, what the hell were you thinking?!", she raised her voice. "Um, I wasn't? If I was, I wouldn't have almost died.", I said. "Well then don't be so damn clumsy next time.", she said, not making eye contact. "Why do you all of a sudden act like you care?!", I asked. "BECAUSE YOU COULD'VE GOTTEN HURT!", she screamed then her face changed from angry to normal after she realized what she said. "What?", I asked. "Let's just go explain to the principal that it was an accident so I could never have to see you again.", she said. I wanted to keep on asking questions but I didn't want to make it even more awkward. "Okay.", I just said.

At the principals office we explained how it was an accident, and he let us off the hook and gave us a late note for science class. We walked back and handed her the note.

"Okay girls, while you were gone we partnered up for a small assignment due tomorrow. Since there's no others, you two are partners.", she said. So much for never seeing each other again. She began explaining the project.

"I guess we can go to my place after school.", I sigh.

"I guess.", she replied, as she shoved her papers into her backpack The bell rang.

"See ya later.", I said as I walked out, looking for Farkle. I found him and ran right into him. "Ow hey!", he said. "C'mon.", I dragged him to my locker, not bothering to hear what he was saying.