2012

The following is an excerpt from Stars in the Night, my first completed "book." It was only 12 chapters, and each chapter was rather short, but I felt accomplished. The next year, I started writing the sequels. Before I finish the series, I plan on going back and editing them all to fit my new writing style, since these stories hold a special place in my heart.

When you are hiding in a dark cabinet squashed with your BFF and you have your dog on your lap shaking and you don't know where your mom is and there are people breaking into your house looking for you, you really hate the used to be awesome power of light that reacts to feelings.

When the people got in, they crashed through the ceiling and onto the counter above where Savanna and I were hiding.

"Search the house! She's in here! I know it!"

"Yes, sir!"

Several pairs of feet ran in every direction and one walked right by our cabinet. I was so scared that sparks flew off my hand scaring Pepper who yelped.

"What was that?"

I clutched Pepper close to my chest and Savanna hid her face in my shoulder. The man came closer to the cabinet. I hid my face in Savanna's hair and scooted myself to the limits against the cabinet wall. I started to cry. I could feel Savanna doing the same on my shoulder. Then suddenly, I heard my mom shout and run across the still dark room.

"What the..."

Pepper flew out of my lap and burst out of the cabinet growling. He clamped his strong jaw on the man's leg.

"AHHH!"

"RUN, ELANA! RUN!"

My mom was fighting off two of the masked men. She was doing pretty well until the men's hands caught on fire. My mom screamed and let go of them. The leader's whole body caught on fire and Pepper let go of his leg and leapt into my arms. The two men were advancing on mom but their leader called them back.

"Leave her! She is of no interest to us! Get the girls!"

We ran. Savanna's long strides matched my race track trained strides and we outran them easily, but when they got started they were fast. We had to dodge the obstacles of the busy street, whereas the men just blasted them out of the way with fire. I looked back to see how far they were and tripped over a bump in the road.

"We've got her! We've got her!"

The men caught up with me and one of them grabbed my arm. I screamed and my body started glowing white hot. The man let go, holding his hand, shouting. Savanna ran back to me and kicked the other man in the groin. I got onto my feet and had a sudden idea. I pointed my palms at the remaining man and let my hatred flow through me. Light shot out of my hands and sent the man flying backwards. I grabbed Pepper again and Savanna and I kept running. We kept running and running. We didn't slow until we couldn't see any more buildings. We slowed down to a walk and still didn't talk. We walked and walked. Then, abruptly, we both started laughing, Pepper barking apparently confused. Laughing and laughing till our ribs hurt. We stopped as soon as we started because we had come upon a strange house. It had a warm glow and had the name Aster written above the door. We walked up to it and I knocked on the door. We jumped back when a little ball on a stick came out of a slot.

"Name please."

"Uh," I looked over at Savanna who looked back, "Elana Julie Aster?"

The ball flashed a bright light then retracted. The door swung open.

"Welcome, young Starlight! We welcome you and your friend and we want you to know that your father loves you and misses you and will come get you soon."

I looked at Savanna, mouth open.

"My father? But my father is dead!"