Three Cheers for Five Years

Co- Written with the wonderful spasmplasm on ffn! This is pretty old so excuse the writing

~

It was November. Cold and dismal, the frost coated every outside surface creating a bleak and treacherous landscape that threatened broken limbs from icy falls. The people who walked the streets did so hurriedly and with their collars turned up against the bitter air.  The sharp, biting atmosphere promised a glacial winter.

One young man hurried down the street, his hands jammed into his pockets, his brow furrowed as though deep in thought. It was already turning dark as he rounded the corner and pushed his key into the lock of his apartment.

“Phil!” He yelled as he stuck his head into the door. “You ready?”

“One more minute!” Came the faint reply.

He sighed and leant against the doorframe. He’d told Phil that they needed to be ready for half past six, but of course, Phil never listened.

He heard a door slam and Phil appeared at the top of the stairs.

“How do I look?” He asked. “Dan?”

“You look great.” Dan allowed himself a small smile. “Seriously.”

Phil hopped down the stairs and kissed Dan lightly on the cheek. “Happy fireworks day,” He said. “But, more importantly…happy anniversary!” He spread his arms out wide. “Five years, Dan! Can you believe it?”

Dan chuckled.  “It’s gone so fast.”

Phil nodded. “It seems like I met you only last week, and I’m still the guy who had such a big crush on you that he spilled that drink all over himself when you walked in the room.”

Dan laughed at the memory. “But here I am,” he said. “Despite your frankly pitiful attempts to woo me.”

Phil smiled brightly. “And you’re perfect.”

Dan blushed. “Come on,” he said. “We’re going to be late if we don’t grab a taxi soon.”

They stepped out into the night air hand in hand, closing the door behind them with a snap.

~

Twenty minutes later, they were stood outside a large London house with dark green topiary bushes lining the front path.  Phil whistled as he looked around him. “This is where your friends live?”

Dan shrugged. “They have a lot of money.”

“A lot of money,” Phil agreed as he reached out and hit the ornate brass knocker against the door three times.

Almost immediately, the door swung open and they were greeted with a tall, blonde haired man. “Dan!” He boomed, grabbing his hand. “Great to see you! And this must be Phil.”

“Yeah, hi!” Phil smiled.

The man shook his hand before standing aside to let him into the hall.

“I’m Sean,” He said. “Good to meet you. There’s drinks in the kitchen and the fireworks start in fifteen minutes. You can leave your coats here.” He pointed to a small room leading off of the hall. “See you guys in a minute!”

Dan smiled as Sean strode away down the hall. “Haven’t seen him for years,” He said, shaking his head slightly. “But he’s still the same guy. You go get drinks, Phil, I’ll hang up the coats.”

“Sure.” Phil shrugged off his coat and handed it to Dan. “See you in a minute.”

“Yeah, see you.” Dan offered a small smile, but the second Phil turned his back on him, it was gone. And the second Phil was out of sight, Dan buried his head deep in his hands.