Ren's Beginning

It was a beautiful Tuesday in the village of Biei. I am sitting on the swing that hangs on our family tree in our backyard. I close my eyes as I swing back and forth. The flow of the air gives me an image of flying high with the eagles. The air fresh to every breath I take.

"Ren, your Papa is home!" I heard my mother call.

My vision instantly ends to my disappointment of reality. But I couldn't help feeling more joy than before knowing that Papa was home.

"I'm coming, Mama!" I sing as I jump off the swing. I dash to the backdoor and slip off my sandals before heading inside.

I close the door behind me and dash through the hallway to the front of the house.

"Ren, wash up first!" Mama scolded.

My excitement gets the best of me as I ignore what Mama told me to do. A man wearing a dark-blue suit and robe enters the end of the hallway.

"Papa!" I gasp with joy.

The man kneels down on one knee and catches me in a hug. 

"Hey, sweetie!" Papa lifts me in the hug. "And how is my little girl doing?"

"Your little girl will be in trouble if she doesn't wash up like I told her to in the next five minutes." Mama appears from the kitchen in her red flower patterned cooking robe.

Papa and I look at each other.

"You better do what she says." he winks.

"Okay." I giggle.

Papa kisses my cheek. "Go wash up." he said as he sets me down.

"Love you, Papa!" I yell as I run to the bathroom to wash up.

As I turned the corner, I thought I saw Papa grip his shoulder in pain out of the corner of my eye.