Chapter One

5 years later
Haven woke with a start. She was sweating and gasping for breath, looking around frantically only to realise that she was safe and in her own bed in her apartment. That was a strange dream. Why did I dream about that night in the first place? I haven't thought about it in years...And who was that guy that showed up? Why did I feel so relaxed with him? she thought, running her hand through her tangled, shoulder length brown hair. And what was he doing there at my house? She shook her head, trying to rid her mind of all thoughts about her dream. She sighed and got up from the bed seeing that it was light out through the window. It's probably about 7 o'clock right now, she thought, Might as well get up and get ready for work.
Haven walked to her closet, picking out a black silk button up blouse, a knee-length black pencil skirt, and black patent leather stilettos that had an ankle strap to keep them on her feet. She set the clothes on her bed and walked to the bathroom for a shower. After sweating so dang much, I need one. After she was done, she dressed and went to her kitchen to scrounge up something to eat. Sifting through the fridge, she found some milk that was still good. Now to try to find something to pair it with, she thought. Looking through the cabinets, she found some Frosted Flakes. Setting the box of cereal down on the island beside the milk, she grabbed a bowl and a spoon. After pouring the milk and cereal, she ate as quickly as she could. When she was finished, she put the milk and cereal up, setting her bowl and spoon in the sink and filling the bowl with water so that the cereal that was still stuck to the bowl wouldn't dry, she grabbed the keys to her car, a black Shelby GT 500. She walked down halls of the apartment building to get to the parking lot for the apartment complex. She got to her car and hopped in.
"Here we go," Haven muttered, turning on her car. She drove through the streets to work, slightly speeding. She works as a forensic assistant at the CSI crime lab for the police department. When she got to the precinct, everything was normal. Cops were hustling about, all with their own cases; cops sitting at their desks on the computers trying to solve a case. That's where Haven came in. She's the one who has to process the evidence from every case that comes through her lab and ends up on her desk. She was pretty good at her job.
Haven walked up to her lab, only to pause. It was him. The man from her dream. The man that saved her life that night. But what is he doing here? Why is he in my lab? Does he know me? She stood there for a minute, just watching him. It seemed like he didn't notice her standing there. He was handsome, just sitting there at her desk looking at some of the cases that she finished up last night but wasn't able to hand back to the officer on the case because it was late. He had ruggish black hair, sun-kissed skin, and was muscular. From what she could tell, he had a six-pack abs. She was to far away to see what color his eyes were, but she guessed that they would be as captivating as the rest of his body.
She took a step forward. He turned around as she started walking in. She almost stopped breathing. His eyes were the most beautiful shade of emerald green. He had a chiseled jaw, plump pink lips, and slightly high cheekbones. He was mesmerizing. And then he smiled. She felt weak at the knees, like she was about to faint. His smile lit his face up, he was enchanting, like something not even of this world.
"Hello Haven. How are you?" His voice. It was smooth like honey, but also slightly rough sounding. She stammered. She couldn't form a single thought, let alone a single word to speak to him.
"H-Hi. Um, w-who are you?"
"I am Draven. It is nice to see you again." He had a slight accent, like he's not from around here. He also sounded like he was from a different time.
"What do you mean, 'again'?"
"Well, five years ago, there was a fire. A girl ran out of the burning building, and she ran into a boy. The girl passed out in the boy's arms, and he carried her to safety. You were that girl, and I was that boy."
"Okay, but that doesn't explain how you knew my name. I passed out before you could have gotten my name from me. How did you know my name?" Haven was starting to freak out, and in her panic, she felt a little stronger.
"That, my love, is a story for another time. Come with me, and I shall explain everything," said Draven, standing up fully, walking towards her. He held out his hand, waiting for her to accept it. She looked at it warily, but finally decided to take his hand. There were too many unanswered questions, and Draven held the answers. Haven could only hope that she didn't make a mistake with trusting him.