Chapter 2

*Harry's P.O.V*

Chandler Wright was the most beautiful girl I had ever scene, and the brilliant. She didn't seem to even realize it either, which I thought was crazy. But I wasn't blind. And I knew the truth.

When she smiled, I wanted to know the reason behind that smile. When she pushed her dark hair behind her ears, I thought, that's how you do it. When she walked down the halls in her simple t-shirts and jeans, I saw absolute clarity and how she was much classier than the other girls in right pants and peekaboo thongs. I had experience with those girls in right jeans and peekaboo thongs, or with one particular girl in tight jeans and much more than a peekaboo thong. She hadn't left the greatest impression.

But Chandler wasn't like that girl, or any girl, even though clearly and definitely a girl. Once, on the senior courtyard during lunch, she had lifted her arm to call over her friend Lauren, and her blouse hugged her curves. I drank the image of her in for as long as I decently could.

On Wednesday, I drifted through the last of my classes and in those classes couldn't help but notice how everyone was wired for summer. I didn't want summer. I wanted Chandler. And unless I manned up and took action- like actually forming an actual conversation with her that wasn't just "uhh hey, you dropped your pen"- I was doomed. Chandler would go her own way after that graduation on Saturday, and I would never see her again.

On Thursday, the first official day of no school, I worked along side my  dad at the paint store he owned. I clamped a paint bucket down with a hammer in efforts of sealing the lid. My thoughts stayed on Chandler as the hammer rounded the edges of the metal lid. Her sweet smile. Her shiny hair. The way her blue eyes grew pensive when the ends of her pen found it's way in the corner of her mouth, suggesting that she was contemplating something important.

One day in Biology freshman year, Wren had argued with Mrs. Roberts about free will in the face of cellular determinism. It was at the beginning of the semester, but already most of the students had already started to tune out in everyone of their classes.  But it always fascinated me how she never seemed to tune out anything.

"Humans are too complicated to be explained by unraveling their DNA." Chandler had said. "Aren't they? Otherwise wouldn't out lives have no meaning?"

"Why would you say that?" Mrs. Roberts said.

"Because... okay, say a child is born with a "rare deformity," is their such a thing. Are you saying he has no choice but to grow up and not have a normal life? That child will never contribute to society?

"Does that mean he or she can't grow up to be a pilot? No matter what?"

In this discussion many students all jumped in. The conversation grew loud and off topic, but all I could focus on is Chandler and wondered if i had heard the last comment she made.

"What about souls?" she said, bowing her head and tracing the etched in lines on her desk. "Don't souls count for anything?"

I could see from across the room the downcast of her eyes and her pink cheeks- I could still see them today. I seemed to have a storage place in my mind for all the amazing and beautiful things that were Chandler Wright. Every word spoke I held onto with such love, and everything she did seemed to amaze me in the greatest way. I loved the whole package that came with Chandler Wright.

And then, yesterday, when she had waved across the parking lot outside of school...

My whole thought process changed. There seemed to be something that had passed between us in that one wave of a hand. Something I couldn't explain, and it made me forget that I didn't believe in souls. Anyway, who was I kidding. I didn't believe in love, either, but I did know: I was in love with Chandler Wright. I loved her forever, it seemed.