Chap. 2

The morning sun shone through Hermione's window, illuminating the dark room and making the golden trim sparkle. It had been three weeks since she took the job at the Malfoy Manor, and while it was a beautiful house it's windows were not well insulated. Birds hopped from branch to branch chirping loudly as Hermione rose from her surprisingly comfortable bed to start her morning. Her routine was set, every day she would wander the spacious halls admiring the artworks on the walls and the trophies on the shelves before attending a silent breakfast with Lucius, which she after she would go to the library and continue her work until night fell.

Today, Hermione was sitting at a small desk checking books off a list as they flew through the air, manoeuvring to go to their respective place amongst the rows of bookshelves. One of the books flew astray, nearly hurtling into a small house-elf standing near the desk. Hermione's hand whipped out her wand, stopping the book. The house-elf watched her with large eyes as she rushed over to him.

"Are you alright?" she asked, her knees hit the cold floor and her heart began to race, this could mark the end of her SPEW days, her hands inspected the poor elf for injuries, but thankfully found none.

"M-Master wishes Hermione Granger brings him a book" the elf stuttered, trying to get Hermione to quit touching him, his hand unfurled to reveal a small piece of parchment inside.

Hermione uncrumpled the parchment, the crackle of the elf disapparating could be heard, but Hermione was already engrossed in her task.

bring 'Magical Madness: a new party planning you' with you,

and try not to drop it. ~Lucius

Hermione, with a small huff, walked over to the checklist to see where the book was located. Hermione unrolled the long parchment searching for the book. Her eyes scanned each book title, each time getting closer to the unregistered books. Hermione's foot tapped against the black tile, each tap rang in her ears, counting down the time she had. Her gaze flicked quickly down the list, desperately trying to find the book as she neared the unregistered section.

It was in the unregistered section.

Hermione took long quick strides to get to the Home & Kitchen section, where the book would hopefully be. Fear of Lucius' Disapproval if she were late fueled her. Hermione made a sharp turn into the section, her eyes glued on the dark rich mahogany shelves. Hermione wondered why Lucius' approval meant so much to her, perhaps it because he's her employer?

-

Panting for air, only supported by the pudding that was her legs, a sweat drop ran down Hermione's face as she stood outside the door to Lucius' office, with a quick freshening charm and a few deep breaths Hermione raised her hand to knock on the door.

"You're late." Lucius hissed as he promptly opened the door before Hermione could knock. Lucius gracefully swept into the room with Hermione following him considerably less gracefully. Hermione's hand rested on the back of the chair she had sat in mere weeks beforehand, the end of their last meeting flashed into Hermione's mind, causing her to shift uncomfortably.

"The book you requested," Hermione said as she attempted to hand the book over to Lucius, who was facing away from her. Seconds passed, awkward silence filled the room until "Sir, I was wondering, why'd you need a book about planning?" Hermione asked. Lucius whipped around to face Hermoine.

"Ahh, yes, the book, I will explain. now, take a seat" Lucius said. His hand gestured to the chair as he an evil smile crept onto his face. Hermione hesitated before sitting down, her eyes trained on Lucius' waiting for a response. Lucius slowly circled Hermoine, like a shark waiting for the right moment to strike it's prey. "You will be planning the debut event of newest Nimbus model, and the Minister of Magic is to be invited," Lucius said. He walked over to Hermione and stopped in front of her "you'll" Lucius Leant down towards Hermione "be needing" Lucius moved his cane to his left hand, Hermione's wide eyes followed every movement of his free arm, her heart nearly pounded out of her chest in anticipation as she waited. "that." Lucius finished sharply, he had picked up the book from the table, he shoved it towards Hermione. Hermione's body stiffened as her brain processed what he had just implied about her and her skills, her jaw tightened as she held back from retorting.

"Is that all?" Hermione curtly replied, simply wanting to be in a room where she could mutter to herself. Lucius' eyebrow raised in question of her attitude.

"Very well, you may go," Lucius said, gesturing her out so he could have peace, Hermione could hear him sigh as she turned the doorknob. Hermione wished she could do the same, she wanted to win her fictional argument with Lucius, but she knew that she would be busy with registering the remaining books and planning the debut event.

-

The sun fell for the night and rose once again, the cries of white peacocks could be heard echoing through the halls of the manor. Hermione's eyes fluttered as she woke to a small popping sound, her hands loosely came to rub the sleep out of her eyes, her head felt 100 times its normal weight, making it hard to find the willingness to raise her head off her pile of work to see what was softly poking her shoulder.

"Would Hermione Granger like to attend breakfast?" a house elf asked. Hermione jolted out of her daze, fully awake and aware in record time.

"What time is it?" asked Hermione as she frantically used whatever spells came to mind to make herself presentable.

"8:40 am, Mam." the house elf replied with a gleam in his eyes. Hermione experienced a surge of adrenaline as she jumped up from her chair.

Hermione's stomach churned as she apparated to her room. her heel turned mere milliseconds after her feet hit the floor. Hermione flung open her cupboard doors quickly finding an outfit that somewhat matched.

-

With ten minutes to spare Hermione reached the large decorated door to the dining room, it's gold leafed carvings still mesmerised her, but she didn't have time for silly carvings today. Hermione creaked open the door to see Lucius sitting directly across from where she normally sat, he was staring right at her. It was odd for him to still be here past 8:30, he was clearly there just to torment Hermione.

"You know, the rich and successful sleep in beds," Lucius said with a smirk. Hermione walked over to the table and sat down with caution, unsure why Lucius chose to stay. "You have 2 months, come see me when you mess up. " Lucius spoke as he stood up,  nudging his chair back. Lucius tilted his head towards the grandfather clock in the corner of the room, "8 minutes" he said with his eyebrows raised, giving Hermione an unimpressed look before smirking and abruptly turning his heel and strutting away.

~~~~~

Hope you liked it!

Please, note that I'm new to writing, so, please leave (hopefully constructive) feedback in the comments.

Thanks!