Chapter 30. First There's A Sting...

Chapter 30

Katelyn's POV

I woke up on the couch. I guess we fell asleep watching TV last night.

I realized that a pair of strong arms were wrapped around my waist. I looked up to the body's face and saw Tom.

I felt a smile creep upon my lips.

When he had his arms around me it felt nice, like his arms were supposed to be there.

I was about to fall back asleep, but then I realized I was hungry.

I managed to wiggle free out of Toms grasp without waking him up. I took the TV remote out of Siva's hands and turned off the television.

I walked into the kitchen only to find Nathan sitting there in a chair, looking at me.

I froze in my place and started backing away.

He quickly jolted towards me, and pinned me against a wall as he pushed his body close to mine. He placed his hands on each side of my small, trembling body.

I tried to get away, but he only pushed his body against mine more.

- You're not going anywhere. - he whispered to me, his breath reeking of alcohol. He slowly started pushing his face towards mine, his warm breath tickling my face. - I got you right where I want you. - he finished.

- Please no... - I quietly begged as he was about to kiss me.

But he only scoffed and forcefully pressed his lips against mine.

I saw him close his eyes, but I kept mine wide open.

He licked the bottom of my lip. I had to let him in, if I wouldn't then he would hurt me.

He placed his hands on my hips and gently started moving them up and down. He kept this in an ongoing cycle but broke it when he slipped his right hand under my shirt, his left one still in the same movement.

His hand slowly made his way up to my chest.

- You're mine now, sweetheart. - he said as he pulled away from the kiss for a split second, but then slammed his lips back onto mine.

I started shaking even more, when he placed his hand on one of my breasts.

He started rubbing his thumb over it, and then squeezing it.

I tried pushing him away from me, but that only made him squeeze my breast harder.

I suddenly realize that there is no escape from this torture.

But to my surprise, I feel Nathan's body being ripped off of mine.

- Oi, mate. What do you think you're doing? - a figure says, and I feel Nathan being pushed down onto the floor.

I open my eyes, and see my hero - Tom. I sigh in relief and I feel his hand on my shoulder.

I look up to him, his eyes are full of concern and worry, as he looks at me, but he is still wearing a smile that could easily brighten up my day.

- Get your hand off my girlfriend! - Nathan shouts, but not loud enough to wake everyone else up.

- Man, she broke up with you when you wrongly accused her and slapped her! - Tom quickly shoots back.

Nathan's eyes will with anger, as he gets off the floor and launches himself at me.

Right when he is about to reach me, Tom steps in front of me. He pins Nath up against the wall with one hand, and uses the other one to reach over to me and slightly push me.

- Go upstairs, before he hurts you. - he says to me.

I nod and quickly run upstairs into my room, as I'm running I hear Nathan call me unpleasant things. They quickly bring back memories, and tears well up in my eyes.

When I enter my room I shut the door and go straight for the bathroom.

I look at the razor.

I grab it and hold it next to my wrist.

I think of everything Nathan called me.

I close my eyes and start the procedure.

Slut, bitch, whore, worthless, ugly, waste of space, coward...

With every word, I slice.

When I am done, I look at my wrist and see nine new scars, all bleeding.

I hear someone enter my room and call my name.

I quickly try to clean up my mess, but I'm too late.

That somebody is Tom. And he enters my bathroom.

He looks at what I did. He quickly appears next to me, and guides me towards the sink.

He starts carefully rinsing my wounds, then gently bandages them.

- I'm sorry I let this happen to you... - he whispers to me.

- It's not your fault, I did it to myself. - I reply, feeling guilty.

- I would have done the same thing if I was in your shoes. - he trails off.

Then silence fills my bathroom.

- What does it feel like? - Tom blurts out.

I look at him, surprised at his question.

I take a deep breath.

- There's a sting when you first slice, and then your heart speeds up when you see the blood, because you know you've done something you shouldn't have, and yet you've gotten away with it. Then you sort of go into a trance, because it's truly dazzling - that bright red line, like a highway route on a map that you want to follow to see where it leads. And - God - the sweet release. It's like a balloon that's tied to a little kids hand, which somehow breaks free and floats into the sky. You know what that balloon is thinking. Ha, I don't belong to you after all. And at the same time, do they have any idea how beautiful the view is from up there? And then the balloon remembers, that it has a wicked fear of heights. When reality kicks in, you grab the nearest toilet paper or washcloth and you press hard against the wound. You can feel your embarrassment, the backbeat under your pulse. Whatever relief there was a minute ago conceals, like cold gravy into a pit in the bottom of your stomach. You literally make yourself sick, because you promised yourself that the last time would be the last time, and once again, you've let yourself down... - I trail off.

I feel Tom embrace me in a hug and start rubbing my back.

I bury my head in his chest and start crying.

- What would I do without you Tom? - I said to him.

- Absolutely nothing. - he said, making me laugh.

And this time, it wasn't a fake laugh.