Bread (Connie x Sasha-SNK)

Requested by SashaLikesToWrite

The sky turned to a brilliant orange as the remaining 104th Training Corps enjoyed the last drink of the evening.

They had been reminiscing about the past, about everyone they had loved and lost over the years. Jean spoke fondly of Marco throughout the night, eyes welling up with tears despite his smile. For once, he was showing his vulnerability instead of being the strong person most saw him as. He kept his right hand, the hand that held Marco's ashes, close to his chest, and he kept staring up at the sky. Nobody had seen this side of Jean before.

"Everyone misses you, Marco. Don't worry, I'll be up there with you soon, okay? Please wait a little bit longer." he whispered to his clenched fist.

"Remember the good times we had together? You were always so optimistic, you told me we would both live to see the day the titans were defeated. They may have gotten you-" his voice cracked. "but I swear I'll make it for both of us. Then I'll join you, I promise."

Eren snorted. He was a giggly drunk, and he'd drank enough to drown the Football Titan that day. "Hey, look. Horse-face has finally gone crazy!" he cackled. Mikasa shushed him, but she was trying hard not to smile.

Jean didn't retaliate, for once. He had neither the energy nor the motivation to fight Eren. Instead, he went down to visit Marco's grave to speak more privately. A few awkwardly followed him to pay their respects too. Most remained at their tables, making the most of their free time.

Connie stayed behind, lost in thought.  Armin was at another table nearby, but he was so absorbed in a book that Connie hesitated to join him.

Instead, he decided to amuse himself. Pixis was nearby, trying to force a drink on Captain Levi. However, that wasn't what caught Connie's attention. Behind Pixis was a basket of freshly baked bread, which was due to be handed to the people in charge of rations. Connie wanted some, badly.

So he thought of a plan. A plan that, if carried out successfully, could get him as much bread as he wanted.

He walked over to Pixis and Captain Levi, close enough to hear their conversation but not too close.

"Come on Levi, lighten up!" Pixis chuckled. "One drink won't kill you!"

"It might," came the bored reply. "After all, who knows what kind of poison is in that flask of yours?"

A booming laugh erupted from Pixis. "Whatever poison it is, it's pretty damn great!"

Connie took his chance and butted in. "If you don't mind, Captain, I think Commander Pixis is right. This is one of our only days off, so why not enjoy it?"

Captain Levi had the coldest glare on his face. He eyed Connie up and down before speaking. "And who the hell are you, brat?"

This was it, the moment Connie had been waiting for! He opened his mouth to speak, then tripped and threw his drink, completely soaking Captain Levi in alcohol.

The Captain was furious. He kicked Connie in the stomach, and proceeded to storm back inside, muttering a string of abuse along the lines of 'damn brat' and 'he's paying for a new fucking cravat'. Pixis followed, barely containing his laughter.

In the heat of the moment, Commander Pixis had left the bread unattended. It took all of Connie's self control to take one loaf then leave the basket alone. He returned to his seat, a smug grin beginning to form on his face.

At that moment, a group of girls stumbled outside, laughing loudly and talking to each other. It was obvious to everyone that they were drunk. You could have heard their conversation from the other side of Wall Rose. Connie didn't recognise them, they must have been new recruits.

Two of them broke away from the group and went to sit at Connie's table. Bloodshot eyes stared at him, and he could smell alcohol on their breath.

One of them began to speak. "Hey cutie, we saw what you did to poor Captain Levi over there," she slurred. Seeing the look of panic on Connie's face, she added, "But there's no need to worry, your secret is safe with us!"

The other girl tried to wink and failed. She looked young for her age-if she wasn't in the Trainee Squad, Connie would have guessed that she was thirteen. Definitely too young to drink. "Anyway, my name's Sara. What's yours, babe?" she giggled.

He couldn't help but feel uncomfortable. A drunk young girl who was a complete stranger just called him 'babe'. How was he supposed to respond?

He went with "Uh, my name's, uh, Connie...". So much for his quick thinking.

Sara stroked his cheek. "Oh, there's no need to be shy, Connie. We don't bite!" She bared her teeth and grinned. This conversation was getting worse by the second.

Connie decided to reply the only way he knew how-inappropriate humour. Turning to Sasha, he laughed. "Unlike the tita-"

Then he remembered.

"Uh, I have to go. Now." he said to Sara and her friend. He seized the bread and ran before they had time to comprehend his quick change of mood.

Mikasa saw Connie sprinting across the field, looking lost. She stopped him and pointed him in the direction of the infirmary.

"Thanks, Mikasa." Connie said breathlessly and continued running.

After five minutes, he found the right door. Mentally preparing himself, he walked in to find Sasha lying on the bed, unconscious.

"God, I'm so sorry. I was going to visit you earlier, but I lost track of time." He gripped Sasha's hand, telling himself over and over again not to cry.

Her usual ponytail was down loose, and there was a deep gash in her shoulder. Connie had never seen her look so weak. It had been a day since the incident, and she was still out cold. The nurses tried their best to patch her up, but they didn't know when she would wake; her shoulder had been pierced by the spire of the church because her 3DMG broke. Connie willed her to wake up with every fibre of his being.

"Hey, Potato Girl. I brought you some bread. It's good bread, I had to steal it from Commander Pixis and soak Captain Levi in alcohol to get it!" he chuckled a bit. "Long story."

"Y'know, things have been pretty quiet here without you. I had nobody to make dirty jokes with in class today. Remember the absolutely filthy one you said last week about Captain Levi and a mop? I told Bertholdt, and he spat his drink over Annie!" Connie was laughing properly now.

He looked at her face, but there was no hint of a smile. It was no use. He sat on the bed, holding her hand again.

"Look, I know this sounds sappy, but I really need your company, Sasha.  It's not the same without you around." He lay down and smiled. "I really hope you didn't hear that, actually." Connie fell asleep, not letting go of her hand.

He woke up the next day to find a bite taken out of the bread and a pair of brown eyes staring up at him. "I heard what you said, Romeo." Sasha said with the most evil grin Connie had ever seen.