01

Clasping a warm container of tea tightly in her hands, she sat swaying silently on the old swing that over looked the miles of rolling hills and greenery that her district housed. In the distance, behind a hastily structured wooden fence sat the cattle that was most prized by the capitol- there best meat.

The citizens of the capitol payed extra for fresh meat that was raised free-ranged on the farms of the heated district. They loved to believe that the creatures lived a good life before it was time for the slaughter of the slice of the butcher's knife.

It was always a sight to see on early mornings, the rise of the cows and their young- the herd mentality as they grazed together and kept close away from the fences because the fences were electrified at night to keep wild animals away from the livestock- all pastures had these precautions because this was how the people of district 10 made a living.

On this particular morning, Terra watched as her father and brother guided of the cows towards the opening- a thick rope tied around the animals as they pulled them to the ranch and into heavy duty truck that awaited them with a peacekeeper sitting up front.

From all over the district, ranchers and farmers would be gathering their quota for transportation to the Capitol, butchers would be cutting fresh meat for the other districts, and milkers would be getting gallons of fresh milk for those who could afford it fresh.

One of the victors would be taken off with the animals to the Capitol so that their meat would be freshly cut by the hands of a winner, the prices would be raised depending on how much this victor was adored.

Luckily for Terra it was not her turn to be dragged off and paraded for hard work. This time she was given the chance to relax and the opportunity to lend a hand around the ranches and the farms.

She could spend a few more moments drinking her tea seated on the old swing near her childhood home watching as her family worked hard to earn a living. Her father was a Rancher, her mother a breeder. Two of her elder sister, Lenna and Breen, worked as milkers all over the district, moving to spend a few odd weeks wherever needed because they never wasted a job; her other sister, Tilly, the one closest in age had married a butcher and now worked with him in his father-in-law's shop. Then there was her brother, Hendrik, who worked for their father as a barn manager.

Each member had their own family, little nieces and nephews, and husband's and wives that she was not allowed to meet. The closest she was allowed was the old swing on the hill that overlooked them, occasionally catching their eye as they looked to her- only her brother would acknowledge her with a tight-lipped smile and brief wave.

"Terra! Terra, hurry, come quick!" she tensed slightly before relaxing and looking over her shoulder. Marium, another victor of the games, and Terra's neighbour. She was a lovely woman, barring 6 children and only half of age to enter the reaping.

"What is it?" Terra stood, sipping from her mug of tea, and looking to her friend apprehensively. She halted in her mindless swinging and let her toes be tickled by the dew-covered grass. Marium was hardly ever so serious anymore, normally viewing things as a joke since she got out of her own games.

"They've changed the day of the tours," the elder woman rushed hastily, her breath coming in soft pants from her lack of physical exercise.

It was common among victors, the new lifestyle and luxuries often caused them to go soft from trips to the Capitol and the luxury of not having to work for a chance at life. Marium had only let her hard exterior go once she gave birth to her first child.

"What do you mean?" Terra jumped to her feet, knocking the wooden swing away from her. She felt the wood hit the back of her bare legs but she didn't d anything about it. "It's the same day every year, why would they change it?"