Minor Details

I strolled through the automatic glass doors of the O'Day Industry company building.The spacious marbled lobby was filled with well dressed men and women bustling about their business, and I stuck out like a sore thumb. Although I was casually dressed and ten years younger than half the people here, I wasn't bothered by it in the least.

The cute front desk secretary smiled and waved ever so slightly in my direction. I winked back as usual, and she blushed. I was debating whether or not to go over to her when someone caught my attention. A business man sped past me at a ridiculous pace for a guy in loafers.

The man in the suit muttered angrily under his breath, checking his watch for about the third time in the past three seconds. I stared at him amused as he rushed around the corner into the nearest open elevator.

I know I shouldn't have done it, but I couldn't help myself. I followed the man and waited outside the elevator until the door was inches from closing.

"Hold the elevator," I said before I stuck my foot in the gap and it opened again. "Thanks man, that was a close one." I walk inside to join him, only to be greeted by his irritatingly furrowed brows.

"What floor?"  He was obviously not happy to be delayed. And that meant my job here was done. But then again, I never have been known to quit while I'm ahead.

"I got it," I said and reached across him to press a random button. "Oops," I said, "wrong one." and then pressed the floor directly underneath his. He let out a small frustrated sigh under his breath and I smiled.     The elevator began its gentle ascent, and I leaned back against the opposite wall so I could fully appreciate the hilarious nervous wreck that was Mr. suite-and-tie.

"So, what's your deal?" I asked him through the awkward silence.

"What do you mean?" He shot back, looking me up and down. His internal dialogue was written all over his face. It was obvious he didn't like me, and that's just the way I like it.

"Yikes, dude. I'm just trying to be friendly." I proclaimed, raising my hands in a casual surrender.

Finally, he looked back down at his watch. "I'm going to be late for an important meeting."

I prepared myself for another snarky remark, but before I could use it, the elevator jerked. The light flickered and the classy music fuzzed out. My back hugged one corner and I gripped the side railing tight as I felt the room freefall for just a second before the car finally jolted to a stop.

"I don't think this is my floor." I said through the sudden silence.

"No really?" Mr. Suit yelled. "Ya think?"

I smiled to myself. This is turning out to be so much more fun than I thought it would. "Calm down man, it's just a broken elevator, not the end of the world."

He ran a flustered hand through his hair, tousling the once neatly slicked strands. "You wouldn't  understand, kid!"

"What? You got a date with the company president?"

"See what I mean? This is all a joke to you. But this meeting could make-or-break my career. I can't afford to miss this." He complained, as he pulled open the emergency call panel. Just as he was about to press the call button, the light flickered again, this time, blinking out for good, and leaving us in the dark.

"Great, just great!" He shouted in my general direction, "Things just can't get any worse, can they?"

"Hey don't say that, you'll jinx it." I said through the dark. "Just be glad you're not stuck in an elevator with some random teenage delinquent."

"Just stop, okay? Don't say another word." I could hear the sound of his suit sliding against wall, as he surrendered to the floor. "I don't want to hear another smart mouthed comment or stupid remark. Just stay quiet and wait for someone to come and get us."

I stopped talking, but not because he told me to. Instead I pulled out my cellphone, letting the screens light illuminate my face as I checked for service.

I dialed the first number on my speed dial.

"Who are you–" The man started, but I shushed him quickly.

"Can't you see I'm on the phone?"

I listened to the dull ringing for a couple of seconds before a cheery voice greeted me.

"Hi Susan, I need to talk to Dad." I said "Yeah, yeah, I know he's supposed to be in a meeting, but I need you to pass on a message, it's an emergency... No, not like the last time. This time I'm serious... I'm stuck in an elevator on the twelfth floor, and it's completely broken down. I'm in here with one of dad's up-and-comers. He's supposed to be in that meeting Dad's in right now." I put a hand over the front of the phone and addressed him, "What did you say you're name was again?"

"Uhhh...Jake McKint." He said flustered, almost like it was a question. I so wished I could see his face right now. Turning my attention back to the phone, I continued, "His name's Jake McKint. So tell Dad to go easy on him, it's not his fault... Oh, and Susan, If u could get the technicians to at least turn the lights back on, that would be fantastic... Thanks, you're a doll." I hung up and pocketed my phone before I realized that Mr. McKint was staring at me through the shadowed space between us.

"Is there something on my face?" I asked.

"Wait... Your dad? Who's your dad?"

"Did I not introduce myself?" The lights flickered on at that moment, but Jake McKint only continued to stare at me from his spot on the floor. "Where are my manners? My name is Daniel O'Day."

"As in.." Jake stumbled over his words, so I helped him out.

"O'Day Industries? Yeah. Thats me." I leaned over and held out my hand to him. "Nice to meet you."