Back to You

An anon on tumblr requested a one-shot based on the song This Town by Niall Horan. I hope this is what you were looking for. I listened to the song so many times. Now, I'm slightly obsessed. :)

So a side note. The request that some of you have made, I am going to write them. It may take me a while, but I promise I will work on them.

Please tell me what you think.

---

Lucas was on the subway on his way to the clinic to start his first official day as a veterinarian. He's dreamt of this day for as long as he can remember, and it's finally here. The nerves start to settle in his stomach, and he shifts nervously in his seat. Lucas looks around the crowded subway car, and he gets a familiar feeling that he can't quite put his finger on; the same one he felt yesterday.

He looks around again, and he realizes that he's sitting in the same subway car him and Riley met; including the same seat where she first fell into his lap. He has avoided this subway car for a while, but this morning he was running late and not thinking.

He gets pulled out of his thought when his phone starts ringing. Lucas grabs it from his pocket and sees Farkle's name across his screen.

Goodmorning! Lucas greets him as cheerful as he can, trying to forget where he was.

I can see someone is excited for their first day. I just wanted to wish you good luck. 'Tell him I said good luck too.' Lucas hears Zay say from the background. Lucas keeps forgetting that the two are living together.

Thank you. I am a little nervous though.

You don't have anything to worry about. This is what you've worked so hard for. Shake those nerves off. 'Are you going to tell him?' Zay whispers a little too loudly. Shut up. Farkle snaps, but it didn't matter because Lucas had already heard.

Tell me what? He questions.

Lucas hears groaning followed by someone taking a deep breath. What are you doing after work? Want to go to a bar, have a drink? You, me, and Zay, and I'll tell you there.

You can't tell me right now because?

Well, because...I have to get to work. Bye. Farkle spits out, and then quickly hangs up.

Lucas looks down at his phone, and he can't help but think how strange that just was. He thinks about calling Farkle back, but he has a feeling that Farkle wasn't going to say a word. He'll just have to wait until after work. He tucks his phone back into his pocket just as the subway starts slowing down to a stop. When he looks up, he feels like all the air has been sucked out of him.

He blinks a couple of times, making sure that his eyes are not playing a trick on him; they most definitely are not. He peers through the windows of the subway car, and standing right there is the beautiful brunette that stole his heart all those years ago. He hasn't seen her since he took her to the airport, and the two haven't spoken in almost a year.

Lucas thinks about getting up from his seat and walking out to say hi since the doors are still open, but that thought is quickly thrown out. He watches as a guy walks over to Riley wrapping his arm around her and placing a kiss on her cheek; and if that wasn't enough, the smile that formed on Riley's lips sure was. Lucas feels an ache in his chest, and his head starts to spin.

The couple starts to make their way to the subway car, and Lucas can't catch his breath. Lucas' eyes don't leave the pair, and when they enter the same subway car, he freezes in his place. The sound of Riley's laugh pierces his ears. Usually that sound would make his heart race with joy, but right now it's making it ache with pain.