Day 8: Battle

"Papa, you'll come back right?" Sadie asked, holding on tight to her father's muscular legs.

"Of course I am baby, and I'll be with you this Christmas." Scott grinned, picking up the redhead and hugging her tight. "It'll only be for eight months, and then Daddy's going to come back."

Mitch wiped away the tears before crossing his arms over his chest, watching his husband talk and comfort the sulking child.

"Promise you'll be a good girl for Mommy. You listen well, and do good in your preschool homework." Scott smiled, holding his daughter close.

"Please don't go Daddy, I'm begging. Don't go." Sadie cried into his shoulders, Mitch walking up to the both of them and rubbing Scott's back.

"She's gonna be okay. We're gonna be okay." Mitch reassured, pecking his husband's cheek. "Don't get yourself hurt out there okay? I know you've been in the Army  for years now but... you'll never know." The brunet sighed, looking up at Scott.

"I would never in my life leave the both of you behind." Scott acclaimed, wiping tears off of his face as the toddler in his arms clung to him. "I love the both of you too much, I would have never forgiven myself."

Mitch captured Scott's lips with his own, crying quietly. "I wouldn't be able to live without you."

"Hoying we gotta go!"

Scott frowned and handed the child to Mitch, grabbing his backpack and smiling. "Daddy's gonna come back, promise. I'd do anything to see you again."

And as the weeks flew by and the months were drawn to a close, he did do everything he could to see his family again.

But he didn't come back.

Sergeant Scott Richard Hoying died in battle on December 16 in Afghanistan. He suffered multiple gunshot wounds which caused him to lose large amounts of blood. He died with his daughter's goodnight teddy bear held in his hand, and his husband's photo in his pocket.

-

ew emotions what is that I don't like it

praying for everyone in manchester and everyone else who have been victims of terror attacks, my love and prayers are with you all : ( x

- Olivia 💕