Five

"Saskia," she replied distractedly, as she watched Caleb reach the top of the stairs with ease and admired how his muscles flexed beneath his shirt as he lifted her suitcase. He hadn't even broken a sweat. Aware that her mouth was hanging open slightly, Saskia snapped it shut before he turned to face her.

"That's an unusual name, you're officially the only Saskia I've ever met. You should feel special," he winked, glancing along the hallway they had finally reached. "What room are you in?"

"I already know I'm special, thanks for reminding me though..." she smirked. Studying the room key in her hand, she announced, "I'm in 204 apparently." Saskia strode off in the direction she thought the rooms were in, only to discover Caleb hadn't moved an inch and was staring after her with raised brows.

"Thats the wrong way. Nice try though," he laughed. Scowling, she turned on her heel and stalked past him in the opposite direction. "I knew that. I was just testing you," she muttered.

Caleb just smiled smugly and followed closely after her along the wood panelled hallways, as Saskia checked the brass numbers on the large mahogany doors.

"You're only a few doors down from me, how lucky for you," he announced, trailing after her with the suitcase.

"Thats the best thing I've heard all day. I consider it an honour," she replied sarcastically, even though a spark of happiness rushed through her at the thought. She forced a disinterested look onto her face. Finally reaching her room, she thrust the key into the lock and turned it. The heavy door opened with a soft click, and Saskia held it open so that Caleb could walk inside. He gave her a funny look, so she retorted, "What? I do have some manners, you know."

"You've only known me for ten minutes and you're already letting me into your room. I think we're moving a bit too fast," he responded, a mock serious expression on his face. Saskia rolled her eyes and slapped him on the arm, before taking in the room that would essentially be her prison cell. She wasn't being dramatic at all. It was reasonably sized, with large windows overlooking the lush grounds surrounding the school.

The cream painted walls were bare, as if awaiting to be decorated with personal effects, and the similar coloured carpet felt worn in, but at least it wasn't dirty. A single bed sat against one of the walls, accompanied by a wooden bedside table with a surprisingly modern lamp perched atop it. A tall black floor lamp curved over the fairly large desk that stood on the other side of the room, an empty black noticeboard hung above it. A door led off into a personal bathroom, which included an actual shower. Realising there would be no sharing showers or toilets, Saskia let out a sigh of relief and thanked her lucky stars.

"It's surprisingly okay, as much as I hate to admit it," she mused loudly, flopping down onto the comfy bed. Caleb laughed from where he stood near the door.

"I thought the exact same thing when I arrived," he agreed, placing her case near the foot of the bed.

"When did you arrive?" Saskia asked, suddenly curious. She kicked off her boots and inspected the sheets for any signs of dirt.

"About six months ago. My parents wanted me to get a better education so they sent me here, the only reason I agreed is because they have the best sports programme. I'm trying to get a scholarship for football," he explained, shrugging his shoulders nonchalantly. "How did you end up here?" he asked.

"I think thats a story for another time..." Saskia grimaced, having finished inspecting the bed sheets and being satisifed that they were clean. She didn't really want to explain the situation and endure the resulting pity from someone she'd only just met. A handsome someone, at that.

"Fair enough, I won't pry," he promised, smiling at her as he checked the time. "Dinner starts soon, are you hungry?"

"Is that a trick question? I dont think I'm ever not hungry," Saskia responded, her stomach rumbling audibly in agreement. Caleb chuckled, and started to move towards the door. "A girl who likes her food, huh?"

"I once won a hotdog eating contest, its one of my proudest achievements..." she grinned, recalling the memory. She'd felt sick for an entire day afterwards but it had been worth it to see the look on Sam's face when she'd beaten him. Her mood soured slightly as she remembered what she'd left behind. Shrugging it off, Saskia jumped up from the bed and started to shove her boots back on.

"Come on then, show me to the food," she commanded, as she fought with the zips.

Caleb watched as she almost tripped, balancing on one foot. "Okay but follow me this time, we clearly can't trust your sense of direction," he teased.

Saskia tried not to laugh with him, and lightly shoved him towards the door. "My sense of direction is impeccable, I'll have you know."

She trailed after him out into the corridor as they walked towards where she assumed the dining hall would be.

"Thanks for helping me out, by the way," she purred, giving him a small smile and bumping his shoulder with hers.

"Any time," he smiled. As they drew closer to the hall, the aromatic scent of various different foods drifted along the spacious hallway, and in amongst it, Saskia detected the smell of freshly baked—"Doughnuts!" she exclaimed, running off towards the source of the delicious smell, leaving Caleb far behind, who ran a hand over his face before following after her.

➳ ➳ ➳