11. Moths to a Flame

Liam was a man. He was a manly man. In fact, he was so mannish that there wasn't anything in the whole wide world that could scare him-not a fight, and not even working so closely with an ancient god. Yet he still kept a suspicious eye on the zombie that swayed absently beside him, watching her as she stared ahead blankly with her empty eyes. Nina's lifeless disposition ran chills up his spine, and he was almost tempted to take her out while the old god had his back to them. But he didn't, and he continued to wait patiently to understand why they had been standing in the field for a while now.

"This place," Andreegys held out a hand, beckoning to the area around them. It was where Genesis had been raised from the earth, where the Anchoress and Dill and even Austin had died. Where Byrenion had returned. "It is holy, can't you feel it? Consecrated long ago in preparation for what it would birth into the world. But now it has been baptized in blood, and it has become the devourer of innocence. Here is where I will enact my revenge."

"Revenge?" The Irish cyborg wondered, watching as the god turned to behold them now, affectionately touching the dead Nina's face as he cooed at her-like she was a pet. "I take it you've given up hope for Byrenion then? What's it going to be this time, bud, more fire rain or another permanent night?"

"You mock what you fear, it is understandable, you are only a cretin." The silver eyed immortal was wise to his ways. "But I am the scourge of mankind, the thing of nightmares, the monster in all the legends passed down in all the tribes of the world. I have caused war, famine! I am pestilence, and death! It is I who am responsible for so many of the horrors across the centuries, and you are soon to witness another."

"And you think this will make him come back to you?" Liam asked, leaning away when Nina got a little too close for his liking.

"Byrenion is insignificant at this point. He did not kill me, but he was quick to defend them. He will not join me, but he thinks with them he is safe. He may still awaken and return to me, or perhaps Vorne's drudge will come through and we'll find a way yet. If not, I have to think ahead, about what is left should he remain out of my reach. If I cannot have the things which I deserve, the things that I have bled and toiled for, then I will ensure that all of creation feels my scorn. I will not leave this place until I have created what I've longed for all these millennia-even if I am alone. Elysium." With that Andreegys outstretched his fingers, a black orb appearing in his palm.

"What is that?" The cyborg inquired, getting a sinking feeling in his gut just from looking at it.

"It wasn't that long ago that I unleashed a disease upon this earth that killed a third of its populace. They called it the black plague. This, well, this will make what they dealt with then seem like child's play." It didn't take much for the old god to clench his fist and destroy the orb, offering up its contents to the wind when he unfurled his fingers. It almost seemed impossible, how much disease could be in such a small container, but a thick smog continued to emanate from his palm as it kicked up into the air and dispersed into the atmosphere. No matter what had come before, he knew this would not fail.

Toby, however, had failed. He'd been given a simple test to prove his resolve-kill Dede-but he had not been able to do it. He hadn't needed to be told to know that Monica was well aware of his failure, and when she had summoned him he already knew what to expect. Indeed, she did not look too happy to see him, but she forwent any frustration she had inside, understanding the counterproductive effect it would have on him if she took that approach. No, she knew to rely on what she did best. Manipulate.

"I must say, I am rather disappointed that you chose to let that terrible woman breathe another day longer." She shrugged, sighing a little overdramatically.