three

"Ashy, honey. Wake up, or you're gonna be late for school." Mum's tired voice stirred me from the nice sleep I was having. I groaned. I usually set an alarm for six thirty, but I must've forgotten last night. I sat up and stretched, joints popping.

"I'll be down in ten minutes," I said, yawning.

"There's an apple on the counter for you to eat on your way."

"Actually, mum, could you drive me to school today? I don't wanna be late." She nodded and left, closing the door behind her. She never said no to anything possibly harmful to my education. I sighed, and pulled a jumper out of the closet. All of them were too big. I bought them awhile back, thinking I'd grow into them. Needless to say, I haven't. If anything, I've gotten thinner and the oversized jumper looked awkward. Nevertheless, I slipped it over my frame, rolling up the sleeves to the wrist. I shoved my stupid glasses on my face. Sometimes I got angry. I got angry at the way life was treating me. But then I realised it wasn't all planned out. I could change it. Then I'd become determined to go out and conquer the day with pride. That was, until the anger came back. It was always a cycle. Angry, determined, unmotivated and hopeless, then angry again. And once in awhile, I broke the cycle to sleep.

"Ashton! Are you ready to leave?" Yes, actually, I was. Ready to leave this place and go into the world myself.

I slung the backpack over my shoulder and made my way down the stairs to the little run-down kitchen. Mum was there, standing by the back door, which was actually the side door because we didn't have a back door, swinging keys around her index finger. Her dark hair was tied carelessly into a bun, loose strands framing her petite face. Her eyes were tired, sporting dark circles under them. I picked up the apple from the countertop, thanking her as she opened the door for me. I opened the boot and tossed in my bag, taking the passenger side. I had my license, but didn't drive often. I was quite good at driving, though, despite the lack of actual driving time.

The ride was silent. Mum and I didn't really talk anymore. There wasn't much to talk about. We didn't really share much in common. She was young, only eighteen, when she had me, and nothing's been the same for her. When she had me, she refused her scholarship to take care of me. Now we lived in this shitty place right outside the city. At least it wasn't in the city. I didn't want to end up like her. I was seventeen now, and almost on my own. I was so ready to leave this place. I'd been here almost all my life, and I despised it. I hated the people, the scenery, the school. Everything about it screamed failure. I didn't need failure in my life right now; I needed success.

We pulled up to the school, and I got out of the car, saying a quick and quiet goodbye to mum. I dragged myself to first period, getting into the unmotivated and hopeless stage in the cycle. I slipped into my seat just as the bell rang.

"Hey. Ashy. Princess." Emerson was back. Again.

I turned in my chair. "What do you want, Emerson."

"I called you again last night. You didn't answer; it made me sad."

I rolled my eyes. "Didn't I tell you I wasn't gonna answer?"

"Well, yeah, but I was hoping, ya know, that you'd actually answer this time."

I sighed and turned back to the front of the seat when the professor walked in. I could only hope that I wouldn't see Emerson, or the trouble that followed him like a shadow, for the rest of the day. Maybe the week if I was lucky, I wasn't stupid enough to hope for that when trouble always found me anywhere I hid.