3 | Lost in You

Chapter 3

Mats of green algae floated around our boat. Aiden had picked a good fishing spot. So far, I’d only managed to get one tiny fish but he had caught five. They were inside a bucket. He’d said he would put them in a cooler later.

Sunlight pounded on my back. Sweat dripped down my neck. I stared at the shore. A family sat together building a castle. The man helped his daughter shape a fence while his wife balanced shells atop a roof.  

Last year, we’d put piles of sand on Dad's belly and Sarah had stuck her beach toys on top of the mound. Ma had laughed at us while she took photos. It felt like a hundred years had passed since then.

A lot of things had happened over the months. Our lives had changed. Ma had changed. Sarah had no idea what was going on. Sometimes I wished I could be in her place—to live in blissful ignorance. Thinking about Dad made me feel like a bag of cement had been dropped on my chest.

I looked away.

When I felt a tug at the end of the line, I leaned forward to peer at the water. The floater sunk beneath the surface. I stayed calm and kept the line tight. The pressure was strong. I hoped I’d caught one of the big fish. Standing up, I reeled it in.

The fish flopped in the air, struggling to free itself. I grasped the back of the fish. Pressed my thumb on one gill and forefinger on its other gill. The fish opened its mouth, its body stilling for a moment. I carefully removed the hook and dropped the fish into the bucket.

“Good one,” Aiden said.

I went back to my sitting spot. The boat rippled with the undulations of the waves. I wanted to lie flat on my back and close my eyes.

It was getting hotter. My shirt clung to my body, sweat beading over my temple. My hair got stuck at the back of my neck. I was glad I’d worn shorts instead of jeans. I fanned myself by waving my hand. It did little to make me comfortable.

 “Want to go for a swim?” Aiden asked.

“Is it safe?”

He nodded.

“No snakes?”

If there was any species I was willing to nuke out of our lovely planet, it would be snakes. Strike that out. It would be snakes, eels and leeches. They freak me out.

“None.”

Setting my fishing rod aside, I rose up. I swung my hands high above my head, leaping into the lake. Cool water lapped at my clothes, caressing my skin. I shivered.

Aiden swam to me. We moved away from the floating bed of algae to clear water. I glanced back at the fishing village. The family had left but a few people strolled along the strip of pebbled shore. Probably fishermen and swimmers.

“So,” Aiden said. “Have you ever eaten smoked eels?”

“Ew.”

I should have known Aiden would come up with an interesting topic. He knew of my fear for the nasty-and-wriggly critters and liked to make fun of it.

“Eel stew?”

I opened my mouth, my eyes rolling up, and made retching sounds. Aiden laughed. I splashed water on his face. He ducked his head, shiny droplets passing over his wet mop of hair. He resurfaced.

Scooping up more water with cupped hands, I threw it at his chest. I repeated the motions, sending volley after volley of water sprays until he retreated, hands held up to shield himself, and laughter spilling out of his mouth.

When I stopped, Aiden frowned in mock anger. My lips twisted up into a smile. He let out a growl and curled his fingers in a poor imitation of a wolf frightening a rabbit. As he charged at me, I swam away in quick strokes.

A hand wound around my waist, pulling me back. I squealed, my legs beating at the water in an attempt to break free.

“Gotcha,” Aiden said to me.

My heart slammed into my ribs. I became aware of how close he was. If I leaned back, I could rest my head on his shoulder. It would be easy. The thought lingered in my mind, tempting and traitorous. I sighed. I was supposed to forget my feelings, not let them run loose. Tucking in my stomach, I pressed my palm against his hand, pushing it away.

I turned to face him. Aiden threw water at my neck, a sly grin tugging at the corners of his mouth.

“You’re so silly,” I said.

“Don’t forget moron, jerk, goof, lazy-ass, free-loader, pipsqueak, Mad Eater, Snorty Face—”  

I huffed. “I’ve never called you Snorty Face.”

“Oh yes, you have. Fourth grade when I had the flu. Remember when I sneezed all over my homework?”

I wrinkled my nose. “Ugh. Gross.”

He chuckled. In fourth grade, Aiden had been a skinny kid with big hazel eyes, a bony face, a cute little nose and a missing front tooth. Now he was bigger, stronger, and more handsome than I would have liked to admit.  

“Megan.”

My gaze followed the drop of water trickling down the wet tips of his hair, sliding down his cheek and running across his jaw. I forced myself to meet his eyes.  

“Race you to the boat,” he said.

 I hadn’t realized how far we’d wandered from the boat. It was a good distance away. There was no way I could beat him at swimming and he knew it so I tried to sweeten the pot.

“What’s in it for me?” I asked.

“Bragging rights.”

“Right.”

“Well, you could have the fish.”

There were seven fish in the bucket including the two I’d caught. Sarah would be happy if I brought them home. She liked to watch Ma cook them. At times I would soak the scales in soap water to remove the stench, dry them and help Sarah make a mosaic on Manila paper.

“Fine.”

 “Okay, on the count of three,” he said. “Three…”

Aiden kicked off, swimming as fast as he could towards the boat.

“Hey, no fair!”

I swam after him. He was ahead of me by the time we neared the boat. I forced myself to swim faster. My chest ached, my legs burned. Air whooshed in and out of my lungs. As he held onto the boat, one leg rising up to climb, I wrapped my arms around his torso and pulled him down. He lost his grip. I grabbed the boat’s side, hefted my body up and collapsed on the deck.

I gazed at the flimsy clouds gliding across the blue sky. The sun had inched closer to the center.  A flock of seagulls flew above us, cawing at one another.

Aiden climbed into the boat. “Cheater.”

I grinned. “Sore loser.”

We went back to the shore. Our clothes had dried when we stepped on the wooden jetty. Aiden left the fishing gear in a storeroom. As we walked back to the car, I tightened my grip on the handle of the cooler. I had won my prize and I couldn’t wait to show it to my sister.