Chapter 1

" The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other soldier die for his. "

December, 1915. 

It was here, in these cold and dark fields minced with frost, that two groups of intrepid warriors fought for their fatherland. Dressed in garments that barely kept them warm, they endured fighting, day in and day out, on the dreary Western front. 

 But on the chilling evening of the 24th, the tired soldiers were given an break for the night, which they were all blessed to earn. The booming guns died away, the cannons slept, and the men sat in the damp and freezing mud of their trench; wounded and hurt. Fear gripped on tightly. They never knew what would come next. There could be a suprise attack from the enemy as they rested.  Braced for ambush, they held the weapons close by, like a child at night grasping their teddy bear. 

. . .

Silence had now loomed over no man's land. William Schulz, a 19 year old soldier fighting for Germany with no choice, shivered from the burning cold, next to all of his brothers in arms. They were very still in their spots, staring straight forward, frightened. William sat up from his slouched position. Eyes turned to him, with a confused look. The English opponents did not see him, for they were in their own trenches across this long and endless field of destruction. 

Suddenly, a sound arose. It was beautiful, and it hovered stagnantly in the air around the soldiers, both English and German. A pure and true tenor's voice grew slowly as it sang. The words of the hymn were strange and foreign to the opponents. However, the notes, every single one of them knew, and recalled within a heartbeat. 

William sang of brightness, of radiance, of tenderness, and of peace -- heavenly peace. He stood up, and heads turned, from both sides of the field. Faces got brighter, and were lit with a sense of wellbeing and overwhelming tranquility. All fear ceased from the men, and only joy was welcomed back. The Germans left their trenches, and the Englishmen left theirs. Beneath tin hats the smiles bloomed like wild flowers. The enemies greeted one another; some shook hands, others just saluted, and other cautiously kept their distance. All was done in relieving yet confusing silence, with only the sound of young William's voice circulating around. They sat together as friends, as if war was absent in the land. They forgot about the guns, the cannons, and the cause, and focused on rejoicing the birth of the King. 

No killing, no screaming, no fear, no cannon's roar, and no bloodshed. A truce was made and trust developed. With certain confines due to language barriers, they shared photos of family back home, and memories that went along. Cigarettes were passed aroun between the English and the Germans, and so were a few flasks of wine. They pleaded that William give another lyric before dawn decided to appear . Soon, it wasn't just William singing, it was everyone; it was a union that one thought could never breathe and live in such a combination of enemies. The Germans caroled for the English, and the English caroled for the Germans.The serenades went on for hours, until there was little time left before sunrise. 

Soon, the group unwillingly disassembled, and returned to their proper bunkers. New friends waved goodbye and the laughing ceased. It was time to return back to the way things have to be during war. 

Though the time was good and merry, deep back in the recesses of the soldiers' minds, they still never forgot about what morning could and would bring. 

Stille Nacht, Heil'ge nacht. (Silent night, holy night)

Alles schlaft, einsam wacht. (Everything sleeps, wakes up alone)

Nur das traute hoch heilige Paar. (Only the faithful and holy pair)

Holder Knab' in lockigen Haar.   (Lovely boy in curly hair)