IV: Unwanted scenes

You know what sucks?!  Dealing with an empty stomach. No food, no drink. Just air and saliva, and when you finally get the chance to eat, the food is just ...inedible, mainly because it was meat-free Monday.

"Have you heard rumors about Elijah Underwood being back in town after what happened last year?" Josey spoke, adjusting her tie as I and a couple more girls that I have met from my previous class sat at a table near the windows. "Yeah, and apparently he's starting school today, some people saw him around!" Billie gasped.

"Taitu, are you not going to eat?" Brooklyn asked as she munched on her sandwich.

"Yeah, come with me." We both got up and walked to the cafeteria line. "So what's up with this mysterious kid that everyone is freaking out about?" I asked as the food came into view. I settled for an Oreo milkshake, which is way better than the soggy boiled flavorless vegetables they served.  "Well, there's a rumor that's been circulating around town that one of our football players had gone rogue and tried to kill one of the students here. People began to suspect it was Elijah Underwood since he was always short tempered. He would also get into bloody fights. I had him in biology last year and I always felt there was something different about him."

"Different in what way?" I suddenly find myself a little more fond of this kid.  "I don't know. A it's a vibe that is unusual. Like not your typical guy."

"Probably some secret vampire." I laughed as we turned around to walk back to our table.

"Well on the bright side, he was pretty gifted intellectually and really good at sports. Sometimes I wondered if  he was on drugs."Before I could speak, a hard force collides with my small frame. The sensation of cold and wetness suddenly drenched my shirt as I was knocked off my feet. My but kissed the ground and my braids suddenly felt soaked. I looked up to Brook's horrified face and was greeted to the sudden silence of the cafeteria. The large cup was now half full with the dull brown milk seeping out forming a small puddle. My freshly clean white shirt was now ruined by the dull brown stain as lumps from the shake dripped from my soaked hair.

Are you kidding me! On my fucking first day?

The only thing that could be heard was a few gasped and heavy breathing. I looked to my left and was greeted with a tall frame that heaved up and down. I could see the wet shirt sticking to their skin as their back faced me.

"Watch where you're going next time!" The person growled, brushing themselves off as I stood up. All eyes were on us as no one dared to make a sound.  If it wasn't for Brook tugging onto my arm, I would've gone ballistic at the person who just knocked my milkshake, because for one, its a waste of food and two, it's on me!

"I don't know who you are talking to but you better watch your mouth !" I found myself piercing holes through the back of the tall brunette as gasps erupted through the air. What were these kids problem?   " Are you fucking deaf? Wasn't it obvious that I was talking to y-" he stopped in mid-sentence once he turned to face me.  I tensed up. My heart suddenly began to race once our eyes connected. I felt the room getting smaller as the cafeteria began to fade with only him in focus.

It was him.

I watched him intensively as his lips parted, faint words were muffled. This trance was soon turned into anger at the thought of my lunch being dumped on me and no apologies were given."What was that? You should learn to speak louder and articulate." A bunch of oohs and gasps once again erupted from the silent cafeteria.

I couldn't care less.

"I didn't know it was... I'm sorry," he exhaled, his eyes never leaving my brown ones. He inched closer to my shorter frame and reached out to me, "I'm really sorry, let me get you another drink," his voice was almost a whisper. He had such beautiful captivating eyes.  A sense of relaxation came over me as my anger and confused thoughts washed away. The longer I looked into his eyes, the more I felt like I was losing my self and that freaked me out.

A lot.

But, I couldn't pull away.

"Fuck off!"  Brooklyn spoke and that's when reality hit like a ton of bricks. She pulled me out of the lunch hall and down the hallway. We walked to her locker and she pulled out the school's sweater and handed it over to me. We then sped walked into the girls' bathroom. I watched as she locked the door and backed away, "I can't believe that just happened," she breathed.

Yeah me either. Why did I even let him come closer to me?

"I am covered in Oreos, milk and whipped cream," I scoffed as I headed to the sink to clean the mess out of my hair. Great, now my head is gonna be heavy. "Do you know that guy. The one who ...made me spill my shake?"

The one from the corner shop?

"Elijah Underwoods." 

"That was Elijah Underwoods? You mean to tell me I met the famous mysterious kid!"

"Yeah, unfortunately. He's the ex-captain of the football team, his parents sent him away for a whole year to 'set him straight' at some boarding school in Alaska after the whole accusations of attempted murder." She stated, fixing her brown locks. "I mean I personally don't believe it since his whole family seems sketchy."

"What do you mean his whole family seems sketchy?" 

"Well you know how this is a pretty small town, but I've heard that they live on the opposite side of Clayoquot woods. They have like a small community there and they all keep to themselves and rarely appreciates visitors. It's weird if you ask me. The Underwoods own the land there so they're inclined to do what they want there I guess."

"Maybe they like to keep to themselves."

"I mean what does one do to afford building mansions? I just know it's more than that. There's this girl who went to this school Elijah's friend group. His best friend, Zachary.  Her name was Zara Meldy. They broke up a few days before Eli was framed for attempted murder. I guess it really had an impact on her because she had to move away, well supposedly, God knows where. No one really knows what happened to her after that. I thought her parents sent her away but it wasn't until a few days later they filed a missing report. Until this day, no one truly knows what happened on August the 6th last year. The weird thing is that a few months back all the posters of Zara had been taken down and now her family has been quiet. To make it worse, the Underwood boys are back and you met the famous one just now."

"Wow, that's a lot. A pretty heavy reputation and history to carry around. Ever since I moved here, I've been getting weird vibes."

"Welcome to the club girl. When I moved here three years ago, I thought I was imagining stuff too. My mother got a new position in the police force and moved here to be closer."

"Make sense how you know all this stuff and have an eye for detail, it runs in the family." I laughed, "I'm pretty sure your mother and my father may work in the same area since he also joined the  force after being stationed in Syria for 2 years." Before Brook could speak, we heard shuffling from behind the door. Tired of these games, I unlocked and swung the door open to reveal him from earlier. Confusion swept my annoyance as I heard Brooklyn heavily sigh in the background.

"Can I help you?" I rose an eyebrow as water trickled down my face from my drenched edges. I eyed him with suspicion when he began to fidget before looking back.  I backed away a little creating more personal space as he spoke, "I'm sorry about what happened," I could hear the sincerity through his voice. "I know, you've said it like a hundred times in the hall. It's fine." 

"No it's not, Look at her shirt! Complete mess! You better pay for another drink or else." She barked from behind. I watched his face contour into anger as he shot glares at Brooklyn. Before he could retort back, I asked him how he knew where I was. He replied with a cocky smile displaying his perfect white teeth as he said "Lucky guess."His dimples deepened as he spoke. A strand of hair fell in between his dark blue eyes that hid beneath dark full brows.

"The name is Elijah Underwood." He caught me off guard as he stuck his hand out." Oh I 'm-" I was soon cut off by a hand pulling back my arm and the door slamming shut.

"Wow you're so petty," I raised my eyebrows.

"Please stay away from him. He's bad news." That tempted me a lot more. I did have a weak spot for mystery.