Chapter 5 - Queen of the Damed

Every time my mother woke up from her binge drinking, she used to always feel for where she was before she opened her eyes, as if she wasn’t sure where she might have passed out that time. I used to wonder how she could possibly forget where she passed out every single day, but it seemed the universe has set out to teach me a lesson in humility, so here I was in the same position wondering how I got to where I was.

It was not my house, I was sure of it. The bed was too comfortable and it smelt like . . . cookies. I cracked my eyes open to be treated with the most wonderful sight ever . . . double chocolate chip and caramel cookies. I know what you’re thinking; this does seem some kind of Wonderland experience. Well, maybe it’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I frowned. Why would I fantasize about that? Johnny Depp looked really creepy in that movie. If I woke up on a ship . . . well that’s another story.

I raised my head slightly and my eyes collided with amber eyes that reminded me of the clichéd big bad wolf. I looked down to his torso and nearly choked on unexpected laughter. He was wearing a shirt that said ‘Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies’.

I shook my head. “You got a really sick sense of humor, L’Enfer. Really, does double chocolate cookies tempt people into your dark side?”

He crossed his arms before stepping towards me. “Hasn’t your mother told you that the way into a man’s heart is through his stomach?”

I raised my eye brows. “Hasn’t yours taught you it’s not polite to kidnap teenage girls?”

He smiled. “Mine never really thought me much—well, except how to cure a scorpion sting and how to kill a man fifty different ways in under a minute . . .” I cringed. “But you’re not a teenager, are you, Kara?” he continued, “Just eighteen; but an adult enough for what I have in mind.”

I shrunk into my comfy bed as a terrible image flashed into my head.

“You think am going to force myself on you,” he scoffed and shook his head “I’ve never forced myself on a woman before and you’re my daughter. I might be a demon but even I am not that deprived. Now so, whip that look off your face, it doesn’t become you. And have some cookies or something . . . .”

I frowned at the last sentiment; he wanted me to have cookies? “I don’t understand you, L'Enfre. What do you want for me and why now?”

“Gone back to calling me L'Enfer, have we?” he asked. Before I could reply he continued. “Time waits for no one Kara, not even me.”

“What does that mean and why do you call me Kara? It’s Phoenix.”

“I believe the bird has told you the prophecy and as for Kara, it is not wise to draw attention to yourself. There are people who have waited for the Phoenix prophecy to be fulfilled for millennia, but there are those who do not want a leader—especially not a topside leader. As long as you are in my world, I would suggest you call yourself—“

“But—“ I began.

“All your questions will be answered in due time.” L’Enfer interrupted, but then the memories of last night hit me. The drumming, the smoke, and then phoenix.

I leapt of the bed and shouted, “Where is my Phoenix what have you done to him?!”

“The Phoenix is fine,” he spoke slowly, as if he thought I was incapable of understanding complicated words.

“I want my Phoenix, L’Enfer, and I want her now!”

He just shrugged his shoulders and muttered “All in good time.”