Chapter Two - "Are you okay?"

The moment I heard the word accident Ryder immediately popped into my mind and I thought about how bad it could be whether he hit someone else or they hit him.

"A semi-truck hit not only your father's car, but four other people too," The man claimed.

I was relieved that it wasn't Ryder, but my father being the one who was involved in the accident just put more stress on my shoulders.  

I slowly felt tears well up in my eyes and I choked as I attempted to ask, "How bad is it?"

"He didn't make it."

I felt the slight crack in my world turn into a giant gaping hole as I let the phone slip out of my hand and break into several pieces on the hard tile floor. My whole body seemed too heavy for my clattering knees to hold up and I dropped to the floor with tears rolling down my cheeks. I laid on the dirty, cold floor in a fetal position and the world around me went silent. No one in the cafe made any noise and none of my coworkers moved as they all had just watched the scene unfold right in front of their eyes.

And suddenly it wasn't. 

The door signaled that a customer had walked in and I heard the hurried footsteps approach the counter.

I listened to the all to familiar husky voice question my co-worker, Molly, "Where's Callie?"

How did he know what happened?

She turned to look at me laying on the floor and pointed. "You can come behind the counter," she stated.

The owner of the voice, Ryder, walked through the counter door and a look of worry washed over his face as he rushed over to me. He sat down next to me and readjusted me, so my head was laying on his lap.

He ran his hands through my hair as I cried and mumbled incoherent words.

It felt like days had gone by before the tears stopped flowing out of my eyes and I calmed down, yet the world around us was bustling.

"Ryder?" I questioned my voice hoarse.

He looked down at my and said, "Yes?"

"How did you know that I needed you?"

He let out a big sigh, "I don't know if you truly want to know, but I saw the accident happen. I was the one who called the cops and I rushed over to see if I could help out in any way."

I listened intently as I watched his recall the scene.

"The man I attempted to help was your father and there was nothing I could do, but I wish there was. Before he died, he asked me to tell the police to tell his family that he loved them. I watched him die right in front of me and I heard the cop in charge of calling his family members ask for a Callie Monroe," he said.

He looked down at me and I saw the tears welling up in his beautiful eyes. He sniffled and continued with the story, "And I knew I had to rush right over here and make sure you were okay. I wish I could've saved him."

"Don't blame yourself. It's not your fault," I reassured him. If I had any more tears left I would've been bawling my eyes out, but that wasn't the case. My dad died because of someone else's mistake and I wouldn't wish the pain that I feel on even my worst enemy.

I sat up and faced Ryder who had one single tear rolling down his cheek. I wiped it away and cooed, "Was that a tear from the infamous bad boy, Ryder, I just wiped away?"

A wide smile spread across his face and he replied, "Surprised I have feelings goody two shoes?"

I let out a light laugh and teased, "Very surprised."

Ryder stood up and I sat watching his every move. I'd never seen anyone in my whole life who was more gorgeous. His deep brown hair was a mess with each piece going in a different direction and his deep brown eyes stared intently at me.

"Callie," he said and I snapped out of my daydream.

"What?" I questioned.

He smiled, "Let's hang out somewhere other than this shithole."

"I really should go see how my mom and siblings are holding up after the news."

"I'll go with you," he blurted, "I mean if you want me to."

"I'd be okay with that," I stated.

After I gathered my items, we made our way out of the door and to Ryder's motorcycle. He slung his leg of the black beast and turned to look at me.

"What are you waiting for, Princess?" He questioned in a teasing manner. 

"For pigs to fly."

He grabbed his helmet and held it out to me. "Get on. I promise you'll be safe."

I tentatively took the helmet and slid it on - it was a little loose and reeked of men's cologne. I threw my leg over the back of the bike and gripped onto Ryder so tightly my hands turned white.

The bike started and on to the road, we went.  

One thing led to another and I blacked out.

Ryder worriedly questioned, "Callie, are you okay?"

--------

A/N

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, if so please comment and vote for it.

Thank you.

You can follow me on Snapchat, Twitter, and Instagram