Preparations

Well, i was off to court after all. Mother and Father had a small argument over letting Pedro pay for everything.
"Vanessa, why are they arguing?", Magdalena asked in a small voice. I felt like hugging her, even though she's been a major brat ever since the boyfriend thing.
"Well, I think Daddy's upset he's not paying for my trip himself", I said soothigly. "Man pride".
Maggie nodded, and offered me a half-smile.
I felt happy. Then I remembered I wouldn't be seeing her for four months. Not a great chance of fixing our sisterly bond.
The next day, Uncle came with one million goldes, all for my trosseau.
"Uncle, this is beyond generous", I said in awe, as the thick gold coins spill into our mahogany table.
"Nonsense", he said. "Just remember, Vanessa. I you don't find a husband this Season, I can't  afford to you to come next Season".
"I understand", I said meekly.  I was the most beautiful girl around for miles, I'm sure I could snag a duke or earl.
Mother and I packed dozens of silk dresses and piles of jewels. I had hated schoolwork of any kind, except for my magic lessons. No books for me! Maggie was the smart one. I was the pretty face.
Finally, the day of departure drew near. I learned that Magdelena would be coming along with me as a companion. I didn't know how I felt about this. On the one hand, having her around would make it difficult for me to creep in and out of my lovers bed. But now cpuld be the perfect time to mend our bond.
We left on a warm, sunny day. I smiled and tried to stay brave as I left my childhood home behind. I was off for a proper court Season.