Chapter 4: Friends with good intentions.

"So why do you think your friends have kidnapped my padre?" Robin asked, clinging to the sides of his seat as the purple low-rider skidded round the corner. "It's obviously to get my attention for what reason I don't know. As for Scarecrow he was never my friend. He's probably just a means to an end in this scheme, unimportant" Joker replied. He had never liked Scarecrow. The guy took all the fun out of crime, quite literally. Laughter was Joker's weapon of choice not fear. As they sped to the edge of the city Joker wondered what on earth Harley thought she was doing. His best friend allying with Scarecrow (his least favourite villain) to kidnap HIS Batsy! She and the others had better have a good explanation or we are NOT friends anymore, Joker though savagely. After what felt like hours, but was probably less than 30 minutes, a dilapidated amusement park came slowly into view. It looked somewhat creepy in the dark of night, the skeleton of the broken down roller coaster silhouetted against the moon. "This place is huge. How will we know where to look?" Robin wondered aloud as the car screeched to a halt outside the entrance. "That's easy, the only place where they could have any chance of holding Bats is the basement" Joker called, jumping out of the car. Together they dashed through the fairground, dodging derelict stalls and rides, until they reached the "crazy house." Robin held tight to his papa's hand once more as they made their way deeper into the eerie gloom. "This way and keep your eyes open. I doubt we'll have any trouble but it won't hurt to careful" Joker told him as they reached a rust door with "Staff only" painted on it in peeling letters. Creek! J cautiously pushed open the door and lead the way inside. As they took a set of crude metal stairs down to the lower level (which the gang had built themselves) muffled banging could be heard coming from behind one of the many doors that lined the corridor below. Slipping his joy buzzer onto his right hand just in case Joker reached out with his left and pulled open one of the doors. "Padre!" Robin shrieked with delight. The Boy Wonder darted across the room and threw his arms around Batman's neck. Batman, who had been robbed of his gadgets and chained to the wall, gasped in astonishment. "Robin, what are you doing here? How did you find me? Where are Alfred and Commissioner Gordon?" he asked. Robin beamed at him. "They aren't here. Joker helped me find you" Robin said, pointing at J. Batman glared at Joker. "You shouldn't have trusted him Robin, it's a trap. What do you want Joker?" he yelled furiously. Joker folded his arms. "I've got nothing to do with any of this, as I keep telling everyone" he answered coolly. Pulling a small leather case out of his pocket he approached the Dark Knight who doubled his efforts to escape as he struggled against his shackles. Click. Joker returned his lock picking kit to his back pocket as Batman fell to the floor in a heap, his bonds undone. Batman immediately leapt up and grabbed Joker by the throat. "So that's it?" Joker grunted as he attempted pull Batman off "No thank you? I looked after our kid whilst you were away, I helped him track you down and I set you free and this is how you react! Talk about ungrateful." Batman stared at him in confusion. Had he just said OUR kid? "Put Mister J down you big bully! He's done nothing wrong!" a voice shouted. Harley Quinn, Riddler, Penguin, Poison Ivy and many other members of Joker's gang were stood in the doorway. Batman released Joker who fell face first onto the cold concrete floor. "Kidnapping is a crime" the Caped Crusader growled. "Yes it is " Harley agreed "but as J-J keeps trying to tell everyone, he had nothing to do with it. He didn't even know about the plan. It was all down to us." There were general sounds of agreement from the other villains. "Why though?" Robin asked curiously. Harley's expression softened as she replied "Because I was fed up of big bad Bats over there being mean to Puddin'. He never appreciates him or takes him seriously. Ever since they saved the city together all Batman has done is string Boo-Boo along and he doesn't deserve that. I thought this might make the Bat see things differently but obviously not." She shot Batman an evil look. Joker, who had just picked himself up off the floor, blushed scarlet with embarrassment. "If that's true then what are you doing here?" Batman demanded, rounding on Joker once more. "I'm here because Little Birdie needed my help to find you and I couldn't stand to see him upset. I'm here because I actually take the fact that you and I are greatest enemies very seriously, something you obviously don't understand. Contrary to popular belief I'm not actually evil all the time. Why can't you see that?" J cried, clearly distressed. The band of rogues glared murderously at Batman. The Dark Knight said nothing. After an extremely long silence Joker had finally had enough. "Come on everyone, we're going home" he snapped, grabbing Robin by the hand. Joker stopped on the threshold and, looking over his shoulder, said in a dangerously calm voice "If you are wanting a lift Batman then you'll have to sit in the boot. If it wasn't for Robin I'd let you walk home on your own so think yourself lucky that I'm offering at all." With that he stormed off, not bothering to wait for a reply.