XI: The Doors of Durin

We turned back, off the mountain. From there, we set off towards the entrance to the Mines of Moria. It took us most of the day, and the moon was rising as we came to a large cliff.

Gimli gasped. "The walls of Moria."

We walked along the rocky edge of a lake. Frodo's foot slipped into the water, and he pulled it out quickly, looking around.

"I don't like it here," I murmured to Merry.

"Well, lets see." Gandalf brushed off part of the wall. "Ithildin. It mirrors only starlight and moonlight."

As if on cue, the clouds shifted, letting the moon shine on the wall. A door of light appeared on the rock.

There were Elvish words engraved upon the archway. I, unfortunately, still couldn't read Elvish very well.

"It reads, 'The Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak, friend, and enter.'" Gandalf read for me.

"What do you suppose that means?" Merry asked, the breeze blowing his hair over his face.

"It's quite simple." Gandalf said. "If you are a friend, you speak the password and the doors will open." Gandalf put his staff horizontally against the door and spoke something in an ancient tongue.

Nothing happened.

Gandalf looked back and forth. He pushed against the door with his shoulder.

Nothing.

We sat for a long time. Gandalf continued to try multiple combinations of passwords. I think I picked up old smelly fat and bearded, your face looks like a donkey, and elves are among the stupidest creatures to walk the lands.

But how am I supposed to be sure?

I sat down next to Merry and picked up a small stone on the ground next to me.

I watched, a cheek on one knee, as Aragorn untied Bill, our horse. Sam was most upset.

"The Mines are no place for a pony." Aragorn said. "Even one so brave as Bill."

"Bye bye, Bill." Sam said tearfully. Sam loved the old creature.

"Go on, Bill." Aragorn gently pushed the pony away. "Go on."

Reluctantly, Bill turned and clopped off.

"Don't worry Sam," Aragorn comforted. "He knows his way home."

Merry took the rock I was holding and threw it into the lake.

How long were we going to be waiting here?