- Three -

Once again, Claire found herself caught up amidst a flurry of snow falling steadily from the impenetrable darkness above her. In the distance she could vaguely make out what appeared to be a figure encased in light. She moved towards it, compelled by some unseen force, an unexplainable internal desire, and as she drew closer she realized that the figure was a woman.

        The woman stood so still that Claire wondered if she was a living being or merely a statue. She wouldn't have been at all surprised if it was the latter. It would certainly explain her enchanting visage.

        No living person could be so flawlessly beautiful.

       Her skin appeared smooth and white as snow, and her hair, which fluttered softly about her still frame, tugged by some unfelt breeze, appeared as though it had been spun from the very sun itself. The woman had her back to Claire so she was unable to see her face, but she imagined it was no less alluring.

       "Come closer, child," a voice beckoned, the same voice she had heard before. It seemed to be coming from the direction of the statuesque figure, but there was no movement aside from the flutter of those golden strands to indicate this to be true. When Claire didn't move, light, musical laughter filled the air around her. "Do not be afraid, child, I told you before I mean you no harm."

       It was then the figure moved, her head turning so that Claire was granted her first glimpse of the stranger's face. It was breathtaking and Claire wondered how something to incredibly divine could exist.

       "Who... who are you?" Claire asked at last, still unsure about approaching the stranger. The woman smiled and the light around her faded. As it did, her beauty became less imposing though no less stunning.

       "My name is Evelle," she said, approaching Claire. "I've been waiting for you for a very long time, Claire." Evelle lifted her hand and reached towards her. Claire didn't move and when the woman's soft fingers met her cheek, Claire expected them to be cold. She was surprised to find them pleasantly warm and comforting.

      "I don't understand," Claire said, meeting the woman's eyes. They were a shade of blue so light that Claire thought they lacked color entirely. "Why? Why me?"

       "I wish I had time to answer all your questions, Claire, and some day soon I hope I am able to do just that," Evelle continued, a soft frown drawing the corners of her mouth downward. "What I am going to tell you is more important than any questions you may have. This world you find yourself in is extremely dangerous, there are many who would see you dead, or use you as a means to an end."

       "Me? But I am nobody, why would anyone want me dead?" Claire asked, feeling scared and confused.

       "You may not see it now, Claire, but you are very special and you are the only one who can lead this world out of darkness," Evelle replied. "That is why I sent you away, to keep you safe until you were old enough to fend for yourself."

       "You... you sent me away?"

       "I'm out of time, I don't know when or if I will be able to speak with you again," Evelle explained in a hushed tone. Even as she spoke, Claire could sense the ethereal woman's presence beginning to fade. "Find Irrix, tell him I sent you. He will be a steadfast ally."

       "Wait!" Claire cried out, reaching for Evelle. Her hand passed through Evelle's fading form which then scattered like smoke on the wind.

       "We'll meet some day, Claire, I promise," Evelle called, her voice echoing into the darkness which now settled heavily around Claire once more.