New Business

Alfred Pennyworth has been writing in a leather journal. It contains his personal thoughts on Bruce, crimefighting, everything really. He writes in it whenever he is seriously concerned, during average times he seems to forget out it.

But these days, well... They're quite concerning. So Alfred picks up the pen once more.

From the journal of Alfred Pennyworth:

Wayne Manor is a house that has long sat in shadow. It is a place of near constant mourning, proverbial mirrors draped in pitch black cloth. But due to recent events I would say that this abode is steeped in a darkness we will not soon escape. Ties have been severed. Familial ties. The Batman, the myth, seems more like a man.

And death has visited this house... Again.

Bruce talks of another lost soldier. He talks of battlefields. He talks of war. He does not allow himself to see it for what it is. A loss of someone he cares for. Another blow to an already very battered heart, and I recognize the deep-needed desire to move forward.

Five weeks prior to the fight between Red Hood and Batman...

Deep within the Batcave, Alfred walks past the cylinder glass showcase of an old costume, once worn by the second Robin. He glances at it only for a second, and continues to walk towards Bruce as he works on his massive computer.

Alfred is carrying a tray of food to Bruce because he always seems to forget eating whenever he's stressed. If he didn't have Alfred, he probably would've starved himself by accident.

Alfred sets the tray of food on the countertop next to Bruce.

"Sir, Lucius Fox has been trying to contact you. It regards Wayne Industries." Alfred says.

Bruce, without breaking his seemingly eternal gaze at the computer screen, responds quickly.
"Get rid of him."

"I've attempted to do that, sir. He's been quite persistent." Alfred responds.

"Tell him I'm out. Tell him you think I'm with the Russian tennis player I'm supposedly seeing." Bruce requests.

"I tried that, sir. He tracked her down. Apparently she's in Miami with a professional hockey player."

Bruce, now aggravated, turns his chair to face Alfred so that he may object once more.

"Alfred, just--"

But he is quickly interrupted by his butler.

"Sir, he's in the foyer. He's here. He's not leaving until he speaks to you. I believe it is a matter of some importance."

Bruce finally agrees to speak with Mr. Fox. Bruce takes off his Batsuit, and puts on some morning clothes, then heads upstairs to greet his Wayne Industries employee.

Bruce reaches the foyer, and finds Lucius well-dressed and standing in the middle of the room, holding a decently thick folder with Kord Corporation written on the front.

Lucius greets him, and hands him a paper from the folder. It's contents shock Bruce.

"How did this happen?" Bruce questions.

"How does this ever happen, Bruce? They had a ton of money and they knew what they wanted." Mr. Fox responds.

Lucius Fox hands Bruce the entire folder.