CHAPTER TWO

THEO

Later, much later, Theo would think about how a single day—and a visit from two creepy strangers— split his whole life into before and after.

But, at that moment, Theo didn't have a second to think. He sat against the wall, snapping blocks together so fast he pinched his fingers. A sheet of paper with a rough design and some quick calculations lay on the floor next to him. He probably wouldn't be able to finish—the school people would be there soon—but maybe they'd be late. Really late. Drastically, dramatically late. And then his Tower of London model would be perfect. It would be complete. Even a person with no knowledge of history or architecture would recognize it.

As Theo worked, his mother glanced up from the stack of files she was reading. "That is amazing, Theo." "Thanks, Mom."

"You built the whole thing, grounds and all." "Yep," said Theo.

"And you won the contest." "Um-hmmm."

"And the school people will be here any second now." "Yeah."

"So, what are you doing?"

Theo snapped faster. He'd built all the structures that comprised the Tower of London, including the White Tower, the Salt Tower, the Broad Arrow Tower, the Bloody Tower, and the Tower Green where the wives of Henry VIII had lost their heads. He'd built the Royal Chapel, Traitor's Gate, the Tower Wharf, and the remains of the Lion Tower Drawbridge. He'd even built the moat around the entire compound, and the Thames River along one side.

But he hadn't built the Tower Bridge. It was only the most iconic bridge in the United Kingdom. And it was right next to the Tower of London. Why hadn't he built the bridge? He should have built the bridge.

So, he was building the bridge.

To his mother, he said, "Since we're just sitting here, waiting, I figured I'd keep busy."

"That model already takes up the entire dining room. And now you're building into my living room."

"So?" said Theo.

Mrs. Biedermann pinched the bridge of her nose. "It would be nice if you kids got into miniatures."

"Technically, this is a miniature."

"Technically, your family is going to end up living in the hallway because our home will be filled with the entire city of London."

"Um-hmm," said Theo. He could live in a hallway. Plenty of room in a hallway. Wasted space, really.

The hallway outside their apartment suddenly produced Theo's dad, who opened the apartment door and backed inside. He had a tray of coffees in one hand and a large white paper bag in the other.

"I come bearing coffee for all!" Mr. Biedermann announced.

"You're the only one who drinks coffee," said Mrs. Biedermann.

"You drink coffee, Mom," said Theo. "I gave it up," Mrs. Biedermann said. "Three days ago," said Theo.

Mr. Biedermann put the tray and the bag on the kitchen counter. "Correction: I come bearing coffee entirely for myself!"

Mrs. Biedermann tapped a pen on her case files. "I thought you were going up to Absolute Bagels?"

"Eh, the lines were full of snotty college kids." "Tell me that you didn't go to Sam's to buy a jelly doughnut."

"I didn't," said Mr. Biedermann. "I bought a dozen jelly doughnuts. And some blintzes, too. Maybe a lot of blintzes."

"Larry!"