Glenville

It was hard to leave Sherwood with its children, culture, history, dancing, and cuisine. He wanted to stay a little longer, but he had an obligation to his followers. Marto peddled down a little way to the South and east toward his next destination. The streets became less improved as he went, and he had to carry the uni over washed out sections of crumbling, light gray asphalt. The place where he was headed was back in the direction of the Sound and away from the Merritt, but he felt it was important to make this detour.

Over a little hill, he saw before him the run-down town of Glenville. It had been hit hard by the hurricane. Trees were knocked down, homes lay broken. Most were broken years ago. He tensed when he saw a paltry group of inhabitants walking in his direction because he knew what was about to happen.

Against all odds, we live in what can only be described as a series of Utopias. Like Troy, we are under attack from those who cling desperately to the past, but we manage to hold back those onslaughts through our intimate embrace of technology and our Interconnection. Those of us in the greater tribes enjoy the best this society can offer. We are the Meritorious because it is in our nature, and because we are good at it. Not everyone is good at gifting. Few of us wonder about our lesser friends and neighbors who disappear overnight, unable to contribute enough to stay in our communal embrace.

When the first papers outlining the basis for a Merit economy were published by the Sunday Sunshine Klatsch over 80 years ago, critics derided them for embodying an idealistic form of egalitarianism. They called the writings 'naïve pablum,' the effect of which, if realized, would remove competition from the marketplace. The supporters of the papers, on the other hand, praised the Sunshine Klatsch for their innovative vision of an economy where value was based not on scarcity but on plenty, and which, if realized, would end all poverty.

They were both wrong. Now that the Sunshine Klatsch's ideas have borne fruit, there still remain winners and losers. Those who cannot keep up with the prospering generous do not merely evaporate as anyone in a position of privilege would dream, but soldier on as best they can in a lower realm.

– The Wakeful Wanderer's Guide, Vol. 6, lines 139 to 141

Marto adjusted his personal algorithms to allow communication from the people of Glenville. Immediately, offers of all kinds, both unrealistic and heartbreakingly realistic, poured in. He had to refuse most of them, accepting only water and a place to rest. His trip today had not been tiring, and he didn't need rest, but he accepted it anyway.

There were families here. In his scan of the community, he could see there were parents and children, aunts, uncles, and grandparents. The less Merited clung to each other in the antiquated groupings of their predecessors. Likely, the structure for the shared raising of young couldn't work here due to the lack of sophisticated connection, or general willingness. They were getting by here, but with limited tech, limited resources, limited connection, and limited, but enduring hope.

["Some of us were aware you would be coming here,"] thexted Thomas Ng. ["my son has made a painting for you to take on your travels."] Thomas handed Marto a piece of blue paper with the image of a man on a unicycle. Marto accepted it and rated it highly. His father and mother Theresa hugged their son and beamed. Marto felt that he might cry. He had no way to carry it with him. He looked at Thomas standing with a hand on each of his son's shoulders, and the ground shifted under his feet.

• • •

Marto is looking at his father's face. His father has no beard, his chin is bare, and he is smiling. Over his eyes are light-colored tortoise shell glasses. In his hand, he holds a toy airplane. The airplane is flying. There are mountains in the background capped with snow. The sky is a deep clear blue.