Chapter 3: Suspension Buildup! The Party!

Suspension Buildup! The Party!

In which Neff starts living a little, and her problem grows bigger.

~x~

April 14th, evening.

I just got back from this kickass Asian place. This is probably the best night in Elmore I've had so far. My dad promised to be less of an asshole. He proved himself by getting this waiter's boss off his back, so I know he's not lying. He apologized for all the abuse he caused me and I started crying. Things might just be getting better. Along with that, he said yes to the party; so that's a plus. He was glad that I had friends. Of course, he set some rules. Be careful, and if I crossed the line, he'd send me with my mom back home immediately.

I talked to Sunny on the phone today. He's been checking in on mom to make sure she's doing alright. He misses me. I miss him. Something weird happened too. I couldn't find words to say when I usually always have something to say to him. I think I might just be falling for him a bit harder. That isn't good, considering I can't even see him. Our relationship would be dependent on texting and calling. But honestly that's the least of my worries.

I'm more concerned about these dreams I've been having. I hope mom has an answer for them when I mailed the letter. I also asked her why my dad and I moved away. She never really hid things from me unless they were surprises.

On the bright side, I'm bringing leftover Chinese for lunch tomorrow. Ayyyy.

It was finally Friday. The day of the party. I didn't know what to expect. I surely hoped that the dream I had wasn't real, even if it was like I could reach out to them and touch them.

Outside I could hear birds in the trees. It was always calming to hear that. Already I could tell that today was going to be good. My dad and I were on good terms, it was nice out, and I was going to a party later on tonight.

"Kid, you have a letter."

I was walking past the office to my first class when the secretary stopped me. Wait, already? A reply from mom?

"That was fast," I commented as she handed it to me.

"Now remember, no more after this. I hope you got whatever issue you had, solved."

I nodded and walked to class. After sitting in my desk, I carefully tore it open.

It's finally good to hear from you. I'm angry that your father cut off your contact with me. I figured that out after I tried calling and texting and got responses saying that the number was cut off. Knowing him, he'd never cut off your phone.

First off, I'm going to explain those dreams you've been having. You told me all about this doctor that explained a condition, disorder, whatever the hell it is. That dream is actually exactly what happened. Any visions you might have in the future are real, too. Do not ignore them. In fact, it's a tool for you to use. Your condition is real, Neff.

Next, you also told me about a dream that you had that involved your father and I arguing. Again, it was real. There's no need to explain if you saw it all.

I'm sorry about what happened. But maybe you are safer in Elmore, even though I wanted those scientists to return you to normal. I know now that you deserve freedom. I tried talking things out with your father. He won't listen to me, because he said he already quit his career, and coming back to Mau5ville would mean facing a bunch of shit from everybody. The media. Paparazzi. Fans. He doesn't want to deal with it. Did he tell you that he retired already? Only 35 years old and he never has to work again. He knows how to make those millions last until he dies. In a past life he was probably some sort of financial expert. Not that you believe in that stuff, but it's still interesting to think about.