chapter 5

heey guys! right beore any of you read this and think ive missed sections out i want to say i have done this because most of initiation will be the same as in Divergent, i guess i just didnt want you guys to get bored. i also want to apologise for the short chapter as suicide is a tough thing for me to talk about for personal reasons so again sorry :/ hope you guys enjoy x :)

Tris POV

I run with Christina to the riverside with a lump in my throat, I tell something awful has happened. I see a group of men in police uniforms hauling something from the river, and then I see his face. Al. A flurry of emotion swirls around me and I hear Christina sob beside me.

I remember the scratches I saw across his arms; I put them down to a sparring match. Now I know better. I remember him carrying me to the canteen on his back, the happiness apparent on his face. Now I know better.

Somehow it’s the funeral already, I feel as if it has been seconds since I met him and minutes since he died. He was too young. No matter what my feelings about his actions were. He was too young, too young to face the things he did, too young to face the regret he did, too young to die.

I hear Eric speaking in the background saying “his death was glorious and brave,” it wasn’t. It was cowardly. I find myself running from the drunken mess that has become Al’s remembrance. I sprint until I can no longer, leaning against the wall in the hazy glow of light strewn across the hallway. I sink to the floor and cry, I cry until I see feet in front of me then a face, its four.

He sinks to the ground next to me; he doesn’t speak, just sits and waits.

Four POV

 Is sit next to her in silence until she speaks then we just talk about Al, his death and what could have been done to help. My only answer is “we must remember our grief, learn from it so we can do better next time.”