Chapter 6

Days passed into weeks and I was happily living with Max and his family. His mother still thought I was just an imaginary friend while Finn and Max both were able to see me, more or less. I'm still unsure about Finn. It made me feel... alive... I liked it a lot and I hoped that it would never end. I haven't had any new visions or anything involving me disappearing lately though I don't really mind it all that much. I would like to know what that vision was for but I guess only time will tell.

I was currently laying down with my head on Max's lap as he read a book to me. We were in his father's study on the window seat. It felt nice to listen to someone read to me again. Max was a good reader too. He used different voices for each character, making me laugh a little every time. He is narrating voice was smooth and lovely to listen to. I could fall asleep and never wake up because he had such a beautiful voice.

"And they lived happily ever after," Max finished. I pouted.

"What? But what happens next? I didn't like that ending, Max. I mean, sure the guy got the girl and all but shouldn't they at least have a kiss? Maybe a kid or two? A wedding? Proposal? What happens next?" I ask.

"Haha, well, we could make a new ending. My father and I used to do this all the time when we didn't like the ending for a book. Let's make our own ending."

"Okay... How do you do that?"

"Well, let's say the girl rejected the guy and moved away. Let's go from there."

I thought for a moment, nodding.

"He... went home after being rejected, sitting in his room though he didn't cry. Instead, he... wrote a song about his heartbreak..." I said.

"And then he made a Youtube video, recording himself singing and playing the guitar. He uploaded it and it became a trending video. The girl who rejected him saw it, feeling bad but she did nothing," Max continued.

"Um... 10 years later... They meet up again by chance at a bookstore. The guy is in disguise since he is a famous musician now but the girl knew it was him... She held a baby in her arms though her husband had died before he could see his baby."

"They talked and caught up, enjoying being with each other again. The girl asked if they could hang out sometime and the boy decided to take her out to lunch that day. He got to know the baby in the girl's arms and they just talked and hung out like old times. There were no hard feelings."

"The girl was having a hard time taking care of the baby on her own so the man decided to help her, as a friend of course. And... they raised the child together and lived happily ever after."

Max nods, smiling. He gently pets my head, causing me to laugh a little. It was fun creating a story like this with Max. It was almost as if we were thinking of the same things and continued what the other was going to say.

"That was a nice ending to the story," Max says. "I think we should become authors and write amazing stories together. Think you could do it?"

"No one would be able to see me though... That would be cool. Ghost Author! Fear the invisible boy with the creative stories!" I exclaim, putting my hands on my hips and pushing my chest out. Max laughed at me and nods. It was nice to hear such a beautiful and soothing sound come from Max. It made me think about just how lucky I am that this guy can see me. If it were anyone else, I wasn't sure if I would be able to stay with them for so long. Max was able to deal with my attitudes on life. He could deal with it and he was even able to change the way I acted a little. He was the one that might be able to help me move on as well. That's all I really wanted after all. Sure, it was fun to be a ghost and wander around town but it got boring after a while. I wanted to know what I could be doing instead of staying on the planet that refused to host my living being.

Snap!

Max had snapped in my face again, bringing me out of my thoughts. He looked worried again.

"Dude, you always zone out. Is something on your mind?" he asks. I sigh and nod.

"I... I want to move on. It's been on my mind for a while now. I'm a ghost. I should stop roaming with the living and I should find out what I need in order to move on. It's just... something is telling me to stay. I really love being around you and... you're my first friend in my entire life.."

If I could cry, I would be right now. I frown, covering my face with my hands. I was so confused as to what I want. If I do move on, then I leave Max. If I don't, I won't ever know if there was anything worth going for after that.

Max gently hugged me, holding me close in his arms. He sighs, humming softly and swaying to calm me down. He knew just what I needed at the moment. We stay in silence for a while, both of us obviously thinking about what we should do. Max was the first to break the silence.

"Well, if you really want to move on, then I'd let you... You deserve to move on, maybe be reincarnated. I don't know what happens after you move on but you deserve a better afterlife. I mean, you shouldn't have to roam with the living, feeling jealous that you couldn't enjoy life with others," he explains. "You know, it kinda sounds like torture, now that I think about it."

"It is... I want to move on and... maybe see my parents... I want to know what they look like. It's killing me..." I say, looking down. "I want to meet them just once and ask why they never visited me."

"And hopefully they had a good reason to. You know, maybe we can visit your grave and see if any flowers were left there. I mean, your parents might have visited or something. Maybe... maybe they'll visit on the anniversary of your death. I know my family does that for my father."

"Well... maybe... I dunno..."

"When would it be?"

"February 20th..."

"Well, it's February 3rd right now. We just have to wait a little bit. Then we can go to your grave and check if your parents visit."

"... What if they don't visit?"

"Then I'll wait a year with you to try again. I'm not leaving you alone ever."

I looked at Max and he had a sincere look on his face. He smiled and held me close, not letting me go for a minute. I felt so relieved and happy and the part of me that wanted to stay with him only yelled louder to overcome the other voice. I smile, leaning into Max and listening to his heartbeat. At that moment...

I felt alive...

There was no doubt in my mind that I would be able to be happy with Max. He was so sweet and happy and I absolutely wanted to stay with him. He treated me like a normal living person, not some ghost. We may have our differences however he makes me so happy when he holds me close like this.

I don't know if I'd be able to deal with leaving Max...