--CHAPTER 4--

They pretended the panic attack outside never happened. (At least, Dinah pretended the panic attack and the subsequent embrace never happened. Normani tried once or twice to get her to talk, but when it became clear that Dinah was resolute, she gave up.)

They pretended the panic attack outside never happened, and they were awkward around each other—even more so than normal.

"Are you two okay?" Andrea asked after breakfast the next morning, helping Dinah with the dishes.

"Oh yeah, yes."

"You sure?"

"If Normani and Dinah were a continent, they'd be the Antarctic," Barbara interjected, grinning when Dinah merely scowled.

"You know you can always talk to us, right Dinah?" Andrea said, shifting so that she faced Dinah, totally ignoring Barbara's comment. "I know your mom must be—"

"It's okay."

"I know. I'm just saying, we're here for you. Barbara and me. Even Lizzie. All of us. You're a part of this family."

"I know."

"Yes, Andrea, the girl knows. Leave her be." Andrea nodded, not looking like she wanted to take Barbara's advice.

"I just...I just don't want you to think you can't talk to us. Even if it's about Normani. Especially if it's about Normani."

"Mani and I are fine, promise."

"She's happier with you. More like she was before. It's good to see, that's all," Andrea said, shrugging helplessly, ignoring the look Barbara sent her. She nodded awkwardly. "I haven't seen her happy in a while."

"Right," Dinah murmured, lowering her gaze. Barbara stepped up and placed a comforting hand on Dinah's shoulder.

"Come on, Andrea. Don't you have better things to do?" she asked, raising her eyebrows. With a weak grin, Andrea put down the dishrag in her hand and took several steps back.

"Right. I just. I just wanted to say it, make sure you knew how grateful I am for you." She smiled, and Dinah felt guilt twisting in her belly, in her chest, the searing pain of it nearly taking her breath away (was there anything anymore that she didn't feel guilty for, she wondered. She honestly didn't think so).

"Dr. Hamilton—"

"It's Andrea, Dinah . And I know, I know. I'll stop being sappy. I just." She grinned wider, stepping forward and enveloping Dinah in a tight hug. "You're the best thing that happened to this family in a long time." She kissed Dinah's cheek and left the kitchen, making odd sniffling noises, as if she was holding back tears. After a moment, Barbara punched Dinah lightly on the shoulder.

"She'll be heartbroken if she finds out."

"I know."

"Am I a terrible person for wanting to see it?" Dinah turned to the older woman, nodding immediately. Barbara sighed. "Fine. Fine. Guess the game is still on."

//

"Where are you going?"

"I have things to do."

"It's Christmas break. What do you have to do?"

"Why are you so nosy, Normani?"

"Why are you being so secretive?"

"If I recall, the only reason I'm here is because you want to keep your secrets."

"That's not the same. I asked for your help. I let you in."