Hope

The princess had lost so many of her friends and so much of herself. After the Calamity had occurred, she became an empty shell of herself, driven by only the strong willpower she possessed. She was determined to see Link alive again, and to restore her kingdom. And she would stop at nothing to see both of those things done.

The pain she felt after the fresh loss was immense and almost unbearable. During those times, she had thought of doing horrible things, but she knew she had to be loyal to her kingdom. If she could not save it in time, she was going to try to fix all that was broken.

First, she stopped by Kakariko Village. She needed the advice and counsel of Lady Impa.

The kingdom had taken on a strange feeling in those few days she'd spent traveling; the skies were clear and blue and the land peaceful. It was as if the world had forgotten the tragedy that had just occurred. The princess had used her newly awakened power to keep Ganon at bay for a few days, but she had to hurry back to fight him off after that.

Trudging through Hyrule without Link at her side was a painful affair. She had become so used to his company that it was difficult to keep going. She wished that she had made the most of all of her time with him, and that she hadn't tried to push him away towards the beginning.

Nevertheless, she had no choice but to accept the truth, no matter how merciless it was. Her knight was gone, and she hadn't been able to save him in time. All she could do now was hold on in hopes of being reunited with him.

All she carried with her was Link's blue tunic and the legendary blade he once wielded. The princess had stopped several times just to sink to her knees and bury her face into the tunic. She would close her eyes, breathe in its scent, and picture him right next to her. Each time it felt like somebody was grabbing onto her heart tightly and squeezing it, suffocating her.

Eventually, she reached the Sheikah village. Zelda felt all eyes on her as she traipsed toward the house of Lady Impa.

The princess ascended up the large staircase and entered the building, kneeling before the Skeikah woman.

"Princess Zelda." She said, "I see you are alive. The goddess Hylia has shown some mercy, after all."

"Lady Impa, I seek your guidance. I have been lost and afraid since the Calamity." Impa looked to the ground.

"The path that follows is not an easy one. You must endure many hardships. But I am afraid I cannot help you. You will know what you must do in time." Zelda's face fell. The elder's assistance was her last hope. She tried to push the feeling of defeat back down and focus on other matters.

"Then, just tell me... is Link going to be alright?" Impa paused for a moment.

"The ancient technology being used is very reliable. So yes, he will wake up in one hundred years as he is supposed to. But he cannot keep everything. He will not be the same." Zelda felt a fear, cold as ice, welling up inside her body.

"What do you mean by that?"

"It is likely he will lose his memory." The princess gasped, covering her mouth to muffle a sob.

"No! That can't be..." Her eyes were glassy, shining with tears that she was trying to keep at bay.

"There may be a way to spark certain memories. Perhaps eventually he can be restored to his former self." Zelda stated at the floorboards in front of her, focused on keeping a brave face. "You must have faith in him, princess. I know that you do. Remember that." The princess nodded.

"Can you at least... give him this when he comes?" She asked, holding out the Champion's Tunic. Impa nodded, taking the garment. "Perhaps... perhaps that will help him to remember."