Prologue

Gemma's POV

I woke up to sunlight shining in my eyes, the beautiful greens of the forest welcoming me back from the world of slumber. I yawned and fully opened my emerald green eyes. Stretching, I stood up, my little ten-year-old body wobbling from the change in position. Once I had woken up, I climbed out of the leafy nest Diamond had made for me. It was pretty big actually, so it made it hard for me to get out. Just as I had freed myself from the vine that had wrapped itself around my ankles, and pulled a twig and a leaf out of my hair, my dragon mother, Diamond appeared, gently flapping her beautiful, jewel-encrusted wings. My mouth hung open in awe. I never got used to how pretty she is. She was so amazing! The way the sun lit up her pearly, silver scales, how her sterling gray eyes brightened when she saw me, and the many sparkly gems and crystals that stuck up and stood out that gave Diamond her name. Diamond Pāru Crystallia, the name of the creature I had grown to love so much. She had taken me in when my real parents had left me in the forest, crying and screaming. That was when I was four, so it's been six years since then. I never felt bad for not seeing my parents, I never remembered them anyways.
Diamond has taught me so much, making her a teacher and a mother. The crystal and voice dragon taught me magic of different types including, caster magic and dragon slayer magic. All of the moves and attacks I've learned are based around crystals, voice, and echoes. Diamond also taught me how to cook, read, write, sing, and other things. Today she was going to teach me how to survive on my own, just in case she wasn't there to help me. I smiled brightly at the thought, and jumped up to hug her neck, clinging to it. She let out a laugh and gently shook me off.

"Are you ready for today's lesson?" Diamond asked in the prettiest voice I've ever heard. I nodded vigorously, causing the dragon to chuckle and gesture to my attire with her claws. I smiled sheepishly, before running back to the leafy nest to change. I had made my own clothes under the supervision of Diamond. I pulled on my leafy crop top and skirt, after I pulled off my "pajamas." I quickly pulled my long blonde hair into a high ponytail, using a vine to tie it up. I lept out of the nest and ran straight for Diamond, before screeching to a halt so I wouldn't run into her.

"I'm ready Mom!" I said with a determined face. Diamond turned to face me and then we started the lesson.

After a few hours of learning how to start a fire, look for water, make shelter, and other survival skills, Diamond decided to give me my final test. I saw the pride and delight on her face, she was actually proud of me. Dirty and a little scuffed up, I grinned, showing my slightly sharper canine teeth.

"I'm ready!" I yelled, raising my fist. Diamond's proud face took on an even bigger smile. She nodded before explaining the challenge.

"I want you to survive until you see me. It will be a while, until tomorrow, but I know you can do it. Remember everything I taught you and you will make it Gemma." Diamond said, looking away from me. The beautiful dragon started to walk away to the clearing in which she takes off to the sky from. She opened her sparkling wings, showing off her scales and crystals. Before Diamond leapt into the sky, she turned to me.

"I will see you in time, my dear. Good luck." She said, nodding to me. I nodded back before she took off. After waving goodbye to my mom, I turned and started back to the nest.

"Okay Gemma, you can do this." I whispered to myself. I decided to start a fire first, I would need it for food and warmth. I nodded curtly to my thoughts, before walking off into the forest in search of dry wood. My walk turned into a jog, which turned into a sprint. I loved running through the forest in which I called home, with the breeze in my hair and the earthy smell of the plants. I felt free. After doing a small cartwheel, I got to work.

It's been a few days since I've seen Diamond. I was starting to get worried. She did say she would return the day after she left me, so where was she now? I had successfully made a huge fire (that was contained of course), and collected a big stack of spare wood. I had done everything I could. At the moment I was singing softly to myself by the fire.