Chapter 12: Vetus Aurum, et Amiculos Pugionibus

(A/N: I'm going back and rewriting some of those chapters ain't no way in hell am I going to leave them like that >:0

And Heyyy! Y'all voted for Skyenja,

Srsly, there's atleast 10 asks about this ffs.)

Chapter 7: Vetus Aurum, et Amiculos Pugionibus

It didn't take much time for Rascal to put on the harness and the muzzle, with me assisting of course. I wouldn't allow Mitch anywhere near Rascal.

Muttering apologies and comforting rubs, Rascal wasn't too upset. I could see Mitch watching from the corner of my eye, slightly impatient but interested in our little moment.

Examining Rascal, he seemed a bit distant, trying to figure something out.

"You really bonded with that thing?" Mitch asks, and Red seemed to be thinking the same thing too, if not, more.

Not once making eye contact with them, I press my forehead against Rascal's, caressing his cheek with my thumb.

It's weird to see it from someone else's point of view, but really, if you were close with an animal you would do this too.

Well, I am right about this being weird. I'm pretty sure almost all of the people around here never had any form of contact with an animal in their lives, ever.

Minus Mitch, Mitch always rode horses each time he patroled around each district, sometimes he would take time to feed it when he got to Equorum, the fifth district. I only saw him outside of the library a few times when he was taking a break to buy wheat, even Apple's and golden apple's for his favorite.

Which also brings up the question, where was his horse? Why did he have to carry me?

It's none of my business, some would say, but it is. The fact that he would rather carry me over his shoulder rather than just put me inside a cage as his horse pulls it doesn't make any sense.

What exactly is going on?

Sighing, I pull away and stand up from my crouching position, immediately locking eyes with Mitch. I quickly turn to Red.

"We uh, Rascal's a childhood buddy." I say, avoiding eye contact with Mitch.

Red looked surprised, and for a moment he looked like he was about to do a victory dance.

"Oh! Great! We have a badass wolf on our side!" Red exclaims and I couldn't help but laugh.

"Yes, we do. Though let's make sure we protect him too, kinda rare huh?" Surprisingly, Mitch seemed to have spoken up. It took atleast three seconds for the smile on my face to disappear.

"He's in your hands, I doubt you would do any protecting." I glare, looking at Mitch with wary. He doesn't seem to be too pleased with this, gripping the leash tighter.

"I know what I'm doing." Mitch practically growls.

Some part of me feels insulted, and the smallest, feels like I should trust him, and it's almost like I wanted to rip the leash from his hands, then give it back.

We began walking, Rascal now being led by Mitch as he walks in front of the group, not once ever breaking a sweat.

I turn to look at Red, and his expression gave away most of his confusion, but he didn't stop following.

We walked in silence for a few more moments, before I opened my mouth to speak.

"So uh..What did you want to say?" I ask, not bothering to notice the way he snapped out of whatever trance he was in.