[2] Day 1

It takes a few moments for my brain to process what my ears just heard.

          I wish someone can just un-hear something. Just erase all the nonsense from our minds. That would be infinitely useful in this godforsaken situation.  'Amanda' was the last and first name I expected to hear.

        Amanda... My best friend since forever. The girl that used to stick by my side through thick and thin. The one I used to have sleepovers with every weekend. The one I shared all my secrets with. The girl that used to tie my shoelaces in fifth grade, the one that used to braid my hair when we were in third grade.

        She hasn't texted, called or made a single effort to contact me ever since I left, and god knows what I've done to earn it.

         Amanda. It was somehow a surprise, yet extremely expected, that she would've gotten herself a new best friend in a matter of weeks, or even days, though it still made my stomach clench knowing she'd just swap me for someone else in a heartbeat.

        It made me feel so... Replaceable.

       "I'm sorry, Jules" Jesse snaps me out of my reverie, his voice so full of pity that I felt a surge of irritation bubbling from inside of me, so strong that it was hell trying to suppress it.

       "They've been hanging out from the second you moved out" he ran a hand through his thick hair, muttering "backstabbing bitch. Never liked her anyway".

         I fumbled with the hem of my shirt.

         "You know what, let's just move on. Forget about it. It's your turn to tell me everything that happened " He says, flashing me a lopsided, yet comforting smile.

         I take a deep breath, and start meaninglessly babbling on about every single thing that happened to me after I got on that plane. Trying, and failing to forget about the name that is now stuck in my mind, ringing in my ears.

Amanda.

##

       A familiar beep woke me up from my dreamless , insufficient sleep. My phone's loud alarm kept blaring wildly in my left ear like a horde of frenzied bugs, buzzing irritatingly.
I blindly reached for the cup of water I usually keep on the bedside table, frowning when my hand uselessly grasped empty air.

        Slowly, my eyes fluttered upon to investigate, and I was completely thrown off when I noticed that my old wooden bedside table was entirely nonexistent.

        And then I felt a smile stretch across my face, and unlike my usual mornings, I was filled with an abundance of positive energy.
I'm in my old room. I'm home.

        The thought made my insides bubble in delight. I was off the bed in a few seconds, eager to see what the day might bring.

#

         Breakfast was surprisingly entertaining. We actually spoke to one another, instead of having everyone in a hurry. 'Late for work, gotta go, love you' dad would usually say in one breath, grabbing a bagel and hurrying out the front door.

         Today, mom, dad, Ryan and I sat together, and ate together. We talked animatedly about taking advantage of this situation we're in, spoke about religion and life after death and raccoons like it was the most natural thing, like we did this everyday.

       "All in all, I'm just glad Ryan is not moving out. You know, most teenagers are so eager to get away from their parents, you'll find them across the country as soon as they blow their eighteen candle" Mom laughed, carefully splitting her pancake in half. Her blonde hair was in a messy french braid , and it fell elegantly on her right shoulder.