21: The Moment - Part 1

I'm so excited for the music video of Camila's new single!

I do not own anything, this story is not mine and is converted from fanfiction.

Chapter 21 – The Moment – Part 1

No One's POV

For the rest of the evening, Austin poured on his normal charm. On one level she was happy that all was as it should be; her at a ball with a very handsome man, who would soon be her husband. The other ladies were giving her looks of envy.

But Lauren was gone and Camila had no idea how upset Lauren was. Camila felt torn, torn between tremendous pressure to conform to society norms, family obligations and growing attraction to Lauren.

By the end of the night Camila managed to push those worries about Lauren out of her mind, as Austin kept pouring on the charm and the compliments. The weight of those societal pressures didn't seem as bad when Austin flashed his smile.

Of course once Austin said his farewell at the end of the evening, Camila started to worry again. As if released from some spell, Thoughts of Lauren quickly returned.

Lying in bed, alone Camila soon fell into a deep sorrow for how she treated Lauren. What surprised Camila most, was the depth and intensity of the feelings of regret and sorrow that came upon her. For the first time since her mother died, Camila would cry herself to sleep.

The following day was Sunday and Camila first caught a glimpse of Laurenat breakfast. The actress came out holding a tray of eggs. What struck Camila was her emotionless expression. The young Latina immediately found it disconcerting.

"Good Morning Lauren. How are you this morning?" Camila said, desperately trying to get some reaction out of Lauren.

"Fine, Thank you Miss Cabello." Lauren replied in a monotone voice.

As Camila's spirits quickly dropped, her father interjected. " Lauren, your performance last night was splendid. Sir Miles was quite impressed."

Laurenpaused from her serving duties and again replied in polite but monotone voice. "Thank you Sir, It was my pleasure."

Laurenthen quickly finished and vanished into the kitchen without so much as looking at Camila. The rest of breakfast was the same. Lauren was there, but she showed almost no emotion and did her work quietly and diligently. It saddened Camila greatly.

" Lauren's furious at me, I know it." Camila thought, as she ate her breakfast.

"Is something wrong Camila, you seem sad this morning."

Realizing she had door a poor job of hiding her emotions, Camila quickly lied. "I was just thinking of mother. She will not be able to see me married. It saddens me greatly."

Mr. Cabello nodded his head. "I miss her as well. You're sorrow is quite understandable. We're going to church after breakfast; you should remember to say prayer for her.'

"I will father."

In church a little while later, Camila did pray. But she prayed for some way to make this all right, as she really had no idea how. At this point, she wasn't even sure what she wanted half the time.

After church, Camila hardly felt better. She felt even worse as the day went on. All day, Laurenplayed the part of quiet, emotionless, hardworking servant. Camila also suspected that Lauren was actually avoiding her.

Lauren was avoiding her. Last night's incident left her confused, frustrated, guilt ridden, aroused, hurt, but mostly angry. In fact, at one point when she got home, she found herself tempted to just go home and let Camila rot in that grave.