Chapter 7

Chapter 7

***

Following the SmackDown filming, Val sat alone, sifting through the photos that she'd taken. With everything going on around her, she could find no joy in her work at the moment. All she could think about was Joe and her father. She needed to be with either of them, but could be with neither of them.

"This sucks," she said to herself.

She turned off the camera and placed it into its carrying bag. A light groan of disgust slipped from her lips when she saw Matt approaching her.

"Just what I need, right now," she said before he reached her.

"Val, I heard about your dad. I'm really sorry."

"Thanks, Matt," she replied, slinging her bag over her shoulder.

"You're welcome."

The two stared at each other for a few moments in an awkward silence before Matt spoke.

"Well, I guess I'm gonna get outta here. You take care."

"I will. Thanks."

Matt took just a few steps and then turned to face Val again.

"Hey, um, if you need to talk, I'm a great listener."

She responded with a nod of acknowledgement and wished Matt a cordial "good night."

"Good night, Val."

Just as she set off in search of the Fatus, her phone vibrated. She pulled the phone from her pocket and read the caller ID.

"Now what?" she asked herself before answering. "Hey, Kelly. How's it going?"

"It's going good for me, but I hear you're dealing with some heavy stuff right now. How's your dad?"

"He's good ... considering all that he's gone through. I just wish that I could be there. But, I have a job to do."

"Which is why I'm calling. It's about your schedule."

Fuck.

***

Joe sat in his hotel room, tired, bored out of his mind, and battling his hormones. As much as he tried, he couldn't get Val off of his mind. Every thought he had was of him making love to her. A woman had never commanded his every thought like her. In fact, his need for her was so powerful that he started to wonder if he wanted her at home and away from him with a baby.

"Fuck that. I'm poppin' one in her," he said, letting out a low groan when his phone rang.

He rolled onto his stomach and reached out to the nightstand to retrieve the device.

"What?" he answered with his face partially buried in one of the soft pillows.

"Hello to you, too," Colby sarcastically replied.

"What do you want, Lopez?" he asked, rolling onto his back.

"A few of us are heading out for drinks. You game?"

Joe sighed and ran his hand down his face.

"Not tonight, man. I'm tired as hell, and I got an early morning. I managed to squeeze in some time to go see Val, since she'll be in Ontario. I'm meeting her tomorrow."

"Alright. Well, I'll catch you tomorrow, bro."

"Alright, man."

After he'd ended his call with Colby, Joe placed a FaceTime call to Val.