Chapter 28 - Christmas

Last chapter!

-----------------

November that year.

"Miss Close?" I looked up to find Alvin in my office. "Mr. Holmes sent for you. I'll be taking you to him."

I smiled and stood. "And did he give any hints as to where you're taking me?"

"His house, miss."

I blinked and then looked up at him. "House... Mr. Holmes as in Mycroft?"

"Yes, miss."

I blinked again. "Um... Okay. Give me a moment." He left and I quickly packed my things. Alvin was waiting in the car. He drove me in silence but he glanced back often to check on me. I tried to appear calm but knew inwardly panicking. Why was I going to Mycroft's house? Was something wrong?

"Miss Close?"

I jumped and looked out the window. A mansion spread out before me, grey stone walls sprawling on an immaculate lawn with a fountain in the middle of the circular drive. I stepped out and went to the door. A butler opened it for me and led me to a sitting room. It was painted in light, cheerful colors and the windows were open to let the breeze in. I sat down, trying to take deep breaths and stay calm.

"Ah, Jordan. There you are." I turned as Mycroft came to stand in front of me. He held a hand out and I took it, standing.

"Mr. Holmes."

"You only call me that when something is wrong. I assure you, there is nothing to be nervous about. However, I wanted to speak with you about Christmas."

"Mycroft... I'm going back to the States."

"You'll be back for Christmas, of course."

I smiled and looked down. "I don't have a say do I? You'll send some goons to come get me if you must."

He smirked. "The hard way or the easy way, Miss Close." He led me to another room, this one colored with darker hues, more reds and deep browns than blues. I felt better here, it was strange to connect bright colors to Mycroft. I sat and he went to a wine rack. "White or red?"

I shrugged. "It's five o'clock somewhere, right? Red, please."

He poured me a glass and handed it to me with a small smile. "It is, actually, exactly five o'clock somewhere."

"Figures you'd know that." I sipped it nervously, my eyes widening at the flavor. "I shouldn't be surprised but this is the best wine I've ever had."

He and sat across from me. "My brother teases that cake is my weakness. It's wine, actually."

I nodded. "I can't say I find anything wrong with that. You have great taste." I gestured for him to go ahead with whatever this was.

"My parents are coming to town for Christmas and Mummy insists that I invite you and John. She wants to see the people who seem to have softened Sherlock. Especially the girl who somehow stole his heart and saved the world all at once. Her words, not mine."

I stared down at the wine. Was I ready to meet Sherlock's mother? Did he want me to? He'd never mentioned it. "You call her Mummy too."

He smiled. "Old habits die hard. Now that I've told you, shall I give you a tour?"

I set the glass down and nodded. "Yes, please."

He led me back into the hall when I got a text from John.

'Where are you?'

'Um... Mycroft's house.'

'Why??'