Chatper 7 // Surprise

A few days later Jess finally came to. She was weak, and couldn't breathe well so we took her to the hospital.
I sat in the waiting room with Darry and Ponyboy, since everyone else was off working or sleeping off hangovers. The doctors told us that since we brought her in so late, there was a slim chance of her living.
I had my head against the wall, my hands on the armrests. Darry was pacing, and Ponyboy was sketching something in his notebook. A few minutes after I had closed my eyes, the doctor called us into the room.
I saw Jess' limp body on the bed, wires hooked up to her in any place you could imagine. The doctor said she was in a coma.
"There's also something else you all should know.." He looked away, his eyes narrowed with confusion and regret.
"Well, tell us. Nothing else can hurt now." Darry replied impatiently. I could see the frustration in his eyes. He did not look happy.
"Jess was sexually abused by her father, and he got her pregnant. The baby is alive by some miracle from God, but now we have her on life support so it stays that way."
I was silent. How could a fourteen year old have a child, and be in a coma at the same time? Ponyboy looked scared, while Darry had tears in his eyes while he stared at Jess. The doctor left us in the room, and I walked over to my girlfriends bed.
"I heard that they can still hear us when they're in a coma." Pony murmured, sitting against the wall. I decided to give it a try.
"Hey, Jess... If you can hear me, I just want to say I love you. I'll be here every day, at your bedside. I'll be here when you wake up, and I'm not giving up on you or your baby. We can raise this baby together, no matter what happens. I want you to keep fighting for us baby girl.. We need you. I need you. This baby needs you.." By then I was crying. I don't cry much, but this scared me.
Ponyboy stood up. "We love you Jessie.. And the gang won't give up on you either. We're not pulling the plug. Stay strong Jess..."
Darry stayed silent, but a hand on my shoulder said everything. He couldn't put it in words.
"Darry's here for you too, Jess. We all are." I whispered, kissing her forehead.
Ponyboy and Darry left about an hour later, only to be replaced by Dallas and Leah.
The two sat down beside Jess, while I sat back. Leah was sobbing uncontrollably and stroking her sisters cheek. "Jessie, come back.. We need you little sis. Moms a nervous wreck now that she knows what Daniel did... I knew it was a bad idea to trust him again. It's my fault you're on his hospital bed and not me.. I love you so much, don't you ever forget that."
Dallas didn't say much, he just basically said the same thing.
"We ain't giving up on you Jess, stay strong and keep fighting." I heard someone say. Sodapop stood in the door, his fists jammed in his pockets. He was crying, but didn't want it to be seen.
Eventually everyone was in the room, and we decided to stay the night in there. Dally threatened the nurse with his switchblade, so she gave us pillows and blankets. I slept in the chair next to Jess, Darry and Soda slept under the window, Ponyboy slept by the bathroom, Steve and Two-bit by the foot of her bed in separate pallets, and then Leah and Dallas had chairs put together to make bed-like structures.
We all fell asleep, even though it was only about 7:00 PM.
//
Ok I'm so sorry that this is short but I wanted to explain something.
Jess' father is not Leah's father. Leah's father is named Paul Thompson. Her mother divorced him because she found out that a one night stand had gotten her pregnant with Jess.
Jess' father is the guy who's been beating her and.. Well, got her pregnant. His name is Daniel Holland. He's also their mothers current husband.
Leah knew this was happening but she didn't tell because he threatened to do the same to her.
Jess is 15 in this chapter, and was raped. I know that's odd, but it happens more than we think. I wanted to add a twist to the book, and I wanted it too be strange. Also, I'm not good with the whole coma thing, I've never had family that's been in one. I'm just going by what I've read in books before.
Lastly, if you have any ideas on what should happen with the baby, comment or message me!!