Chapter 8: Hedgehog's Dilemma

Drink up with me now

And forget all about

The pressure of days

Do what I say

And I'll make you okay

And drive them away

The images stuck in your head

-Elliott Smith, Between the Bars

Everyone has guilty pleasures. For some, it’s that midnight snack that they sneak in, under the cover of night, when they snuggle up between the sheets. For some, the secret is darker; it’s that drug they take, that fifth of vodka they keep hidden from everyone; or the little trinket they steal from the local store even when Daddy’s loaded and can pay for it. It’s that deep yearning within them, a darkness, a compulsion.

Although there was a darkness within me now that couldn’t be denied, there wasn’t much darkness in my deep longing. I yearned to be alive again. I never meant to leave the life I left behind; the person whose touch I never wanted to forget, and whose voice I so longed to hear.

Daniel and I walked slowly along Esplanade Avenue. It was such a mundane thing to do, but it meant so much to me. The early morning sun warmed my face as I looked upon it through the trees. The smell of fresh beignets greeted us. I had my caramel macchiato in hand now, ready to face a new day. But was that what this really was?  

“Why did I know you would order that?” Daniel said, with a wink, but I didn’t have anything witty to say to that, so I just kept quiet.

“So tell me about you, Haley,” he insisted.

“I’m afraid there isn’t much to say,” I said, smiling. “I’m not as interesting as you would like to believe. I’m sorry to disappoint.”

“Nonsense! If there’s anything I know, it’s that Richard Grim never takes on boring people.”

Yes, that’s right Daniel. This is the boring life I wanted. To walk with you, to be with you. To talk about stupid, trivial things. Was that too much to ask of life?

“Well, maybe someday you’ll find out,” I winked. I found that I enjoyed flirting with him, even now; after my death. Very few things change, I guess.

Daniel’s eyes turned pensive. “I’m sorry,” he said.

“Sorry for what?”

“It’s just… you remind me so much of her.”  he sighed. “Look, this is very unfair of me to say to you. You barely know me, and here I go on and on. You don’t even look anything like her, but I swear, everything you do reminds me of Vanessa.”

Vanessa this, Vanessa that. I wasn’t sure whether to be happy or sad. My Daniel loved me. That certainly appeared to be so. But then again, I was dead. What did it matter now what he thought?

“Your fiance who was murdered?” I asked, stopping myself abruptly. “I’m sorry, Daniel, that was insensitive of me.”

Daniel smiled. “It’s quite alright. I needed something to take my mind off her. I’ve decided that grieving isn’t beneficial in the long run.”

“Do they have any leads in the case?” I asked, curious.

Daniel’s brow furrowed. “The lead investigator’s still interviewing everyone who was at the party. It’s been a crazy few days, I can tell you that much. Between that case, and now running into you all bloodied up at Jackson Square.” Daniel paused. “I guess I just…”