Prologue - An Apparent Viewing

Hello! Welcome to "Creatures of God!" I hope you enjoy the story. Please feel free to comment (positive and negative), share and private message. I love interacting with my readers. Thanks for reading! Thanks for giving my story a chance.

Planet Earth, in the future year of 136

"How're you doing back there?" Georges asked, not looking back.

He listened to the accentuated breathing and stuttering footsteps behind him, ragged and unsure in their action. His co-worker seemed to be exerting more effort than expected. Not due to the exploration suit, Georges thought. He, too, wore the off-white outfit; lightweight and compression-fitted, designed for easier movement. And, not because of physical conditioning either, Georges further discerned. He squinted in the half-lit darkness. He knew this guy. He'd worked alongside him now for some time.

"Your search light is all over the place, Hansin."

"Jus' makin' sure we ain' bein' followed... " Hansin replied.

In contrast, Georges held his own lantern steadfast and forward, undeterred by the harrowing pathway ahead. Within his helmet, he viewed the concrete and steel surroundings on an inner screen; structural assessments from the lantern, outlining the broken scenery into a green and beige electronic display. The lantern revealed every crack and crevice in the derelict building. Every step through the crumbling construct was a risk in safekeeping.

Something in the background moved.

Hansin flinched.

It was Georges' shadow, moving across the wall, further away.

"Jumpin' johimny... " Hansin exhaled.

"Don't worry," Georges said. "We're safe in here. They'd have to break-in to follow us."

"Shuraz hell they cou' break in here!" Hansin blurted.

"The Canines don't go into human structures."

"Tha' ain' true! They go wherever they wanna go!"

"Only under certain circumstances."

"Fools alive, George! Wolves dohnee' no excuse to hun'! They jus' kill fer the hell of it!"

"Stop scaring yourself."

"I ain'! This place ain' safe as shermin!"

The dilapidated rooms were not a convincing portrait of stability; the walls were warped and worn, their paint partially peeling, their support beams slanted. Broken glass lay shattered on the floor while ancient metal desks and file cabinets stood covered in dust and dirt. Outdated pieces of equipment -- computers, copiers and phones -- were left abandoned on the desks, scattered amongst pens and paper.

Hansin adjusted his helmet with an oversized glove, indirectly wiping a bead of sweat from his brow. He stretched his neck in the limited space, as if a collar were strangling him.

Dust particles kicked up into the air -- swirling and floating -- as the two men trespassed from one ancient room to another, awakening the long lost building.

"Actually, I think the framework's in pretty good condition, considering," Georges said.

"Considerin' it ain' been maintain'd in o'er a hunner years," Hansin mocked.

"But still intact, despite being submerged all this time."

The sound of gravel crunching beneath Hansin's boots resonated throughout the edifice as he turned and checked the premises one more time.