This I Believe - Individualism

I am 18 as of May 4th, and I'm an adult. Not mentally, obviously, or else I'd be working, right? Wrong. What are the preconceived constructs that we have that make an adult? An adult must work, an adult must be mature, an adult must teach. Wrong. An adult is whoever they want to be. Just like everyone else can be whoever it is they want to be. Well, I don't want to be an adult. I want to be an individual. I want to be able to live my life the way I want to live it, just like everyone else deserves, but very few have the opportunity to. I want to be whoever I need to be. When I feel like it, I'm a child. When I feel like it, I'm a man. But, I am never more than myself. To me, that is what an adult is. Someone who can accept who they are. Someone who can look adversity in the eye, and meet it head on. Knowing all this, I see now that I am not who I will become. For life is not constant and life is not easy. Life is the greatest Labyrinth ever created. In this case, there's only one difference between Life and Greek mythology. A Minotaur lies around every corner. Not just the wrong ones, mind you. Because no matter what decisions we make, there is always another challenge. Always another fight. It is these fights that teach us, that teach me, who it is I want to be, who it is I want to become, and who I am. I am not who you want me to be, because I don't care. I don't care if you don't like me. I don't care if you don't think I'm normal. I am happy, and that's what matters to me. I am who I want to be, and that's all I've ever needed. I am not rich. I am not popular, and I don't need to be. The money I have, I must work for. The family I love, I must care for. The friends I appreciate, I must live for. And the things I believe, I must die for. This I believe.