Chapter 8

The throne room looked like a medieval dungeon. The room was dark with only torches that hooked on the walls gave the room some lighting. It was a small room, not big and exotic. A simple red and gold rug led up the throne itself where the dwarven king, King Harloff sat. He was, like all dwarves, short and stocky, but the throne he sat on gave him more height and a ruthless look. The throne itself was made from a dark wood. The wood was found from the dark wood trees that grew in the Dwarf Clan.

King Harloff had a long greying beard that once was the color of brown. He had grey eyes to match his beard and he wore a long red robe with gold crown on his head. Beside the King, stood his son, Prince Valor, who looked exactly like his father. All except for the greying beard and eyes. Karma, Omar, and Yuza step up to the throne and bowed. The King's eyes followed them. Silence was the only thing that filled the room leaving the three travelers in an awkward position.

"Creator." King Harloff said and booming, yet, gentle voice. "I was not expecting you. From what my son has told me; you were not willing to help us." The King motioned the three to raise from their bowing positions. Karma felt a bit under pressure from the weight that the King was putting on her shoulders right now.

"What you said is true, Your Highness," Karma said in a strong voice that quivered a bit. "But I realized something. That if war is truly what your people are leaning toward then I wish to stop the blood from spilling. There is no evidence that points to whether or not the goblins are kidnapping your people, but I'm willing to find out... plus," Karma continued with a small smile, "we have a dwarven friend who had decided to come and fight for you. I do not wish for him to die. Not when I can stop it."

King Harloff smiled broadly at that. Then he laughed. Loud and booming. "I think I know who you are talking about. Dagger was his name?"

"Dagner." Corrected the Prince.

"Ah, right. Thank you, son." The King turned back to the three companions. "If you are here to help, then I have no right to stop you."

"Thank you, Your— "

"But," the King said interrupting Karma. "Unfortunately, we do not have forever to wait. My people are missing, and Thor knows what's happening or what has happened to them. If they are suffering or if anyone of them is severely hurt... we will go to war. So here is my deal. Find out what happened to my people in two weeks, and no more, and Arula is at peace. But if you don't find them by them and whether or not the goblins did take my people, it's war. Tuigsinn?"*1 Karma flinched at that. Two weeks? How in the Gods' name is she supposed to that?

She looked over at Omar, but his eyes remain on the King. Karma already knew what he was going say. Sighing, she nodded. "Understood. My companions and I will do everything we can to find your dwarves. In two weeks, no more." King Harloff nodded.

"Thank you, Creator. I do hope I don't sound harsh, but my people are the most important thing to me, and I will not let them down. Valor," Harloff said turning to his son. "Take our guest here to their rooms. And make sure that they are well feed. They had traveled very far." Prince Valor nodded.

"Of course, Vater."*2 He stepped away from the throne and motioned to Karma and her companions. "If you will please follow me, I will show you to your rooms." With no other choice, Karma and her companions followed the dwarven prince out of the throne room.

----

"You must be crazy!" Omar nearly laughed as he and Karma were both sitting her room. Karma on the bed and Omar in a small dwarf size chair. If the situation was any better, Karma would've laughed because Omar's long legs were to his chest. The chair he was sitting in made him look like a giant. "Two weeks, Karma, and with no clue or evidence of where the missing dwarves have gone." The elf shook his head.

"Well what would've you had me do? You keep telling me that I must make my own decisions and I did! And we do have a clue of the dwarves' disappearances, thank you very much." Karma said almost offended. Omar raised an eyebrow.

"And what may that be, Creator?" He said drawling out the name.

"Didn't the Advisor say that the only dwarves' vanishing are the ones near the border? Well, I say we take a few men... or dwarves... and head out there. See what we can find." Omar sighed deeply. He leaned back in the very small chair, tipping it on its back legs. He stared at the ceiling for a while, in deep thought.

"I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but we must think of other options- "

"What other options?!" Karma said. "We only have two weeks to find those dwarves or Arula will be in another war! And I will not have these lands be stain with blood, not when I can stop it." Omar looked at his friend. Her green eyes read determination. He admired that of her, but he also knew why she had this determination.

"What happened a few months ago won't change a thing, Karma. You know that. It wasn't your fault." But Karma wouldn't have it. Just about when she going to say something else, there was a knock at the door. Karma answered and her serious and irritated look turned in a pleasant smile.

"Ho there, lass!" Dagner said with a large grin and a bottle of ale in his hands. "I was told I would find you here."

"Dagner!" Karma said patting his back. "It's good to see you!"

"Aye," he said. "You, too." Dagner wobbled inside and bellowed his hello to Omar. Taking a place on the bed, he stared at Karma, his face suddenly turned seriously. "So," he said. "What made you change your mind, eh?" Karma looked at her dwarven friend guilty.

"I'm sorry, Dagner, but when I saw your note that you left back at Shurli, I... I couldn't let you get hurt. I know how much this means to you and I was selfish to think that I could just forget about this." Karma said, her eyes cast down. Dagner looked at Karma for a long moment, not saying a word. Then his serious face slowly turned into a smile.

"There's no need to apologize, lass. I know you meant well with your decision. I never meant to lose my temper about it. You only wanted what was best for Arula and didn't want to get into its affairs... but thank you... for coming anyhow." Karma shook her head.

"Hey, I'm the Creator, I'm supposed to get into these affairs and help my world and all who lives in it." There was long silence. Dagner took that time to drink his ale. He offered some to the others, but they denied.

"Your lost." He had said and once he finished the bottle he asked, "so what's your plan, lass? I already heard that King Harloff has given you two weeks to find the dwarves." Karma told him. The dwarf hummed in thought. "Not a bad plan, but I like it. I'll gather some eligible dwarves who are willing to help." When it was settled and done, they prepared themselves for the biggest mystery in all Arula.

*1 "tuigsinn" ~ "understood"

*2 "vater" ~ "father"