𝟎𝟓.

"But it's a trick!" declared Clint, pointing at Thor's hammer

The Avengers and a few newcomers gathered around a table adorned with Thor's hammer at its center. Surrounding the table were sofas and chairs where the heroes reclined, unwinding after a night of partying and libations. Behind them, lit candles cast a serene glow, starkly contrasting the inebriated chaos at the table. Most were in various stages of intoxication while I sipped on my third cup of apple juice.

A brunette woman named Maria Hill introduced herself, sitting alongside Clint and Bruce on one of the couches. Bruce engrossed in conversation, spoke with Natasha, who occupied another couch alone. Steve and Thor shared a sofa, clinking their drinks together before each sip. Sitting next to James Rhodes (War Machine), Tony laughed and bantered. Dr. Cho sat alone, appearing on the verge of falling asleep.

Groggily, I wrapped myself in a blanket, keeping my distance from the inebriated Avengers despite Tony's persistent invitations. Having known him for a few days, I learned to steer clear of a drunken Tony Stark.

"No, no, it's much more than that," Thor chuckled.

"'Whosoever be he worthy shall haveth the power,'" Clint mocked the blonde god. "Whatever, man! It's a trick."

"Please, be my guest," Thor smirked, confidently gesturing towards his hammer.

"Come on," urged Tony.

"Really?" Clint questioned, his tone almost defensive.

"Yeah," replied Thor, his confidence evident. I could sense he expected Clint to fail, heightening my anticipation for the outcome.

"This is gonna be beautiful," Rhodes remarked.

"Clint, you've had a tough week," Tony stated sarcastically. "We won't hold it against you if you can't get it up."

Amidst the laughter, I briefly averted my gaze to conceal my smile. Despite the jesting atmosphere, I felt a twinge of empathy for Clint and wanted to be a source of moral support that seemed lacking from others.

"You know I've seen this before, right?" Clint boasted, gripping the hammer handle and exerting all his strength to lift it. With a grunt, he shot Thor a sly grin, eventually conceding defeat. "I still don't know how you do it!" he chuckled, releasing the handle.

"Smell the silent judgment?" Tony quipped.

"Please, Stark, by all means," Clint teased.

Letting out a sigh, I tuned out of the conversation. I wasn't in the mood for a testosterone-fueled competition, but it was challenging to resist looking back when something seemingly entertaining unfolded. Tony attempted to lift the hammer, even utilizing his Iron Man glove for assistance, yet failed. Rhodes joined in with his War Machine prowess, but the hammer remained unmoved.

Holding my heels' straps, I finally walked over to the group. Exhausted and eager to return to my room, the allure of the unfolding spectacle was hard to resist.